Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2001, 02:16 PM
Chyna_C

Default What am I missing?

Ahoy Maties!! I am only 18 from departing on the Sensation! YAY! This is only my second cruise and I feel like I have to be forgetting something. Help me figure it out. I have: 1-wheeled garment bag, 1-26 inch suitcase, 1-boarding bag, cable ties to secure my luggage, big bright bag tags to recognize my bags, ginger caps, bonnine, bandaids, neosporin ointment, aloe vera gel, sunscreen, tums, clear nail polish, needle/thread, extra pantyhose, 10 rolls of film, camera, digital camera, batteries, rain poncho, umbrella, sun hat, sunglasses, tweesers, clippers, sissors, flashlight, travel alarm clock, highlighters, water bottle, collapsible cooler, empty tote for purchases, fanny pack, tylenol/advil, shower gel, shower puff, makeup bag.....

Appreciate the help.

Chyna
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2001, 03:00 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: What am I missing?

Wow, you are so much more ready for this cruise then I am. I have bought my underwater disposable cameras but that is about it.

How about a power strip, surge protector kind of thing so you have more then one outlet in your room.
Old November 21st, 2001, 03:49 PM
Mike Mastellar

Chyna;
You have all the secondaries covered. Great, but don't forget the essential's. Cruise Documents, Passport/Birth Certificate, Airline Tickets.

Last year I actually had forgotten those. If my wife had not asked me, on the way to the airport, what our flight number was I would have not realized I had left the documents on the kitchen table.

Also; If you have all of your documents filled out before you get to the ship it will save you a lot of time at check-in.

Have a great cruise;

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host and Forgetful CruiseMate.
Old November 21st, 2001, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Boy are you organized! Do not forget if you are flying to put the
clippers, sewing kit, scissors and anything else like that in your checked bags. Also, have batteries in your camera and digital camera as they may ask you to demonstrate that they work.
Happy Cruising /Enjoy
Old November 21st, 2001, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Two words.. Duct Tape

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 21st, 2001, 06:18 PM
rsawick

Make a Travel Check List on your computer. When you are taking a trip anywhere, print out the list. It helps if you use a couple of columns to keep it to one sheet of paper. Now pack what you need from the list. When you arrive at your destination and you are missing anything, put it on the list. You will not be missing the item a second time. After a few trips, packing becomes a breeze, and you will not be found wanting.
Old November 21st, 2001, 06:33 PM
Chyna_C

Thank you everyone!! I did forget to write down I do have a power strip, lysol sray, and room freshening solids, and yes Kuki DUCT TAPE. What are the creative uses of duct tape on a cruise? Besides the obvious broken suitcase?

Yes I have filled out all my documents. I thought there was going to be a bunch of stuff to fill out but it didn't take me five minutes to fill them out. (Guess I was expecting a ten page form ) I know I need to make copies of my passport and travel documents too. If I am traveling with someone from Canada, will embarkation/debarkation take longer? (they will ONLY be looking for wild Canadians with antlers, right? )

Good tip about making sure I have batteries IN the cameras and knowing me, film IN the camera will be good too. Question: Can you hand them a baggie with all your unexposed film in it so it will not pass through the X-ray machine? In the past, I have had good luck with that, but I know one of these times I will not be so lucky.

Cruisemates is the BEST site I have found for cruise talk!! Thank you all for being here and for being so well organized and easy to navigate!!!!

Chyna
Old November 21st, 2001, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Chyna,
I've been packing a little flashlight, and believe it or not, it does come in handy, so add that to the list :-)

Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 21st, 2001, 07:48 PM
Rhapsody 11-25

I also am packing a little flashlight especially since we have an inside cabin.
Old November 21st, 2001, 09:18 PM
First Mate

Maybe perhaps a wine bottle opener (if you intend to have wine in your cabin)
and a night lite for the bathroom
Old November 22nd, 2001, 02:27 AM
Admiral

What I take is a 6" round magifying mirror (5 x) with suction cup on back.
I stick it on the window so I can see to put my make-up on. I found on for $10 in a Duane Reed (discount) drugstore.

Also, I hang dressy stuff on hangars, but plastic drycleaner's bags over it.
Nothing ever wrinkles and I always need the extra hangars.

Lastly, I take a small purse, just big enough to carry my cabin key-card and a few odds and ends. This for tiime spent aboard ship, so I don't have to lug around my evveryday purse.
Old November 22nd, 2001, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Too much stuff! No need for alarm clock, flashlight, cooler, umbrella. Leave the bathroom light on when you go to bed, and the door ajar, it works. Alarm clocks are in all of the cabins. Umbrellas are provided by the ship if needed. Remember your not going for a year, unless you want to "pack" all of your luggage, lots of places don't have luggage carts, and if the wheels break, your sunk packing it all. We have cruised numerous times, and pack everything in one small roller case. No carry ons, not worth the hassle. Don't have any alcohol in your carry on, the ship will confiscate it until you return home.
Old November 23rd, 2001, 10:37 AM
Pooh Bear

Default Missing MOST Important Item

Hint I found to be most valuable taken from CruiseDiva and Pamda:

2 shoe bags (EL CHEAPOS THAT COLAPSE AND FOLD NEATLY TAKING no SPACE IN YOUR LUGGAGE).

Hang one with plastic pockets (+/-20 or 30 pockets) on the inside door of the bathroom and fill the pockets with the nail polish, make up, hair dryer, curling irons, meds, etc., etc., etc. - Don't even bother with putting things in the storage areas provided in the bathroom.

Hang second one (I purchased one that was a little better than the one above (about $8) in the closet - this one has "shelves" - and holds about 10 pairs of shoes - we used it for belts, camera storage, evening bags, etc. as well as shoes. Everything is right there in front of you when you open up the closet drawer.

We tried this suggestion for the first time on our second trip to the Med. and were absolutely blown away by the increased storage space:

PLUS: you keep things off the top of the vanity in the bathroom and room steward absolutely loves you!

Enjoy.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old November 23rd, 2001, 04:03 PM
Karen B

Default Re: Missing MOST Important Item

You might want to have some cash on hand...have fun!
Old November 23rd, 2001, 06:06 PM
Chyna_C

Sammy, I was told that none of the cabins have alarm clocks in them on the Sensation, maybe RCCL or Celebrity but not on older Carnival Ships. I cannot sleep if the room is too light, so leaving the bathroom door slightly open doesn't work for me. As far as umbrellas, I haven't heard of any being provided, again that could be a Princess, Celebrity or RCCL perk. I don't plan on having but one small boarding bag nor having any alcohol in my carry on. But then again, if the wheels on the suitcase break, maybe a "swig" or two might be nice. Hmmm, I thought the porters were for "packing" the luggage. (At least that is what I am going to tip them for! )

I like Anne's idea of the small magnifying mirror on suction cups!! That will be on my "items" to find list. I have those shoe bags on my list to, I know those will be a big big help.

And Karen's is be BEST thing to remember...to bring some CASH!!! (Now, if I just had some 'gambling' lessons, I might be dangerous! OOL)

Thanks again everyone!! You guys make anticipating the trip so much fun. I just have to book my next cruise soon!!

Keep giving me more ideas!
Chyna
16 days and fidgiting!!!
Old November 24th, 2001, 11:05 PM
First Mate

Many ships do not have outlets in the bathrooms. They are located near the mirrors or desks in the main part of the cabin. I actually took a night light once & that's the reason I noticed!
Old November 24th, 2001, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Chynna, glad someone besides me noticed there aren't alarm clocks in most cabins. At least not on Carnival, RCCL, NCL and a couple of other now defunct lines I have been on (unless maybe the very, very new ships). You can use your phone for a wakeup call. As for leaving the bathroom door ajar, sometimes, if you run into "weather" or rocky seas, the door will then swing back & forth all night! We usually close our bathroom door even though the light is out for this reason. I always bring a tiny flip open book light on trips for reading in places where there is no light or the light is off. It doubles as my flashlight on cruises & in hotels. I did think of one thing I like to bring not mentioned above: binoculars! I enjoy watching the shoreline of the places we visit pulling into & out of port, or just passing by. I even got a pair of the little opera ones so I can just wear them like a necklace when I think I might want to use them. Isn't it great looking forward to a cruise?! The anticipation is part of the fun. Have a GREAT time!
Old November 25th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Passenger

I have cruised Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, & NCL and had a radio/alarm clock in every cabin.don't call me a liar!
Old November 25th, 2001, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sammy... dont be so touchy. I've cruised many lines and have yet to have any clock.. radio, alarm or otherwise in the cabin. Though as others mentioned, I have used the telephone wake up service.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 25th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Chyna_C

Oh yes binnoculars!!! check!

Last night I pulled out all of the little "goodies" and began to group them by "type." I now have a small first aid kit, a sewing kit, a "shower" bag, a "shaving" bag, a "sun" bag, etc. All of those "kits" are in those zip top bags to prevent against any leakage into the luggage.

13 days and counting!!

Thank you all so very much for the reminders, keep them coming!!!

Chyna
Sensation 12/9/01
Oceanic 5/91
Old November 25th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Admiral

I'm not going to call Sammy a liar, but we just got off a Celebrity ship in the Presidential Suite and there was no alarm clock. And it was the first time I'd ever seen umbrellas in the cabin. I don't care about the alarm function, but I don't wear a watch and I like to know what time it is.

Safety pins! I keep a few pinned to my jewelry roll.

Anne's "itty bitty purse" suggestion is excellent. I have one about the size of a glasses case with a shoulder strap. I found it at TJ Maxx for about $5.

I have a dandy Everready flashlight that can turn into a tiny lantern. Works well as a nightlight. Just take extra batteries.

Super Glue if you have serious nails and one decides to break. Emery board.

Correctol and Immodium. (Use your imagination.)

Spare glasses/contacts

Sense of humor

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor (pack pamda!)