Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need Info please

Author: Scott (---.36.252.64.snet.net)
Date: 11-16-01 18:03

We are going on our first cruise on march 23th ,2002.

Anyone out there going too?

Can anyone tell me of the age group that might be on this ship at this time of the year?

Any info on the golden would be great. I have seen lots on the Grand and know that they are the
same ship, but are they EXACTLY they same?

Which side of the ship is best?
How are the mini suites , We are in D615 and D617

And what about diving? we ahve never been diving before but would like to try it. do we have to take
the classes on board? do they take up a lot of time?

are there excurtions where we can just go and dive?

Any help would be great

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Need Info please

Hi Scott,
Sounds like you will be cruising during spring break time, which means more families/kids. I always enjoy a younger crowd while cruising, just a bit more lively it thats what you are into. We will be on Golden in just 30 days,YEA, so will be able to tell you more about the ship sometime early next year. Here is a recent members review of Golden if you want to read through that:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_princess/golden3.cfm>
You may also want to read through this section here for a first cruise, lots of good packing tips as well:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 30th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Can't tell you much about Golden or Grand. We're going on the Star Princess next May.

Diving is another matter, however. Been doing that since the 50s. Regardless of what someone might offer, DO NOT DIVE WITHOUT ADEQUATE INSTRUCTION. Go over to http://www.padi.com and check out the PADI Scuba Diver program. It's short and sweet...let's you dive with a divemaster or instructor...great for people who want to dive occasionally on vacation.

Cruise lines and resorts don't tell you about the accidents...air embolisms, brain damage, and deaths. Many of these could have been avoided with a bit more knowledge and prudence. You don't have to be in super shape to dive. I've got a pacemaker in my shoulder to regulate my heart's electrical system. As long as I stay in shape and dive with a knowledgeable dive master, my cardiologist says, "Go for it...just use your head."

That's good advice...JimM
Old November 30th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jim,
Thanks for that "good advice", sure some points you brought out, I've never had a thought about. Been wondering if some of the programs they offer on ships, is it adequare enough? I did notice they do take up some time, but better to be prepared for any unfortunate accident, thanks again.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old November 30th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Donna ==>

To pick up on our email, diving is the greatest thing since sliced bread...ranks right up there with sex. But I wouldn't die for either one.

Want to dive on a vacation? Take one of the PADI courses from a certified instructor. Princess and others offer them.

More important than the training, use your head. Floating along in this seemingly weightless environment can be euphoric. It's so easy to get a huge adrenalin rush watching the sea life in crystal clear waters 100' below the surface.

To help you see, there's a regulator feeding you air that helps compensate for the tons of water pressure your body is fighting. One stupid move and you can be in very deep do-do.

Use your head. Trust your certified dive master...the only one to dive with...and enjoy.

JimM