Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Insurance

Second cruise. Never pruchased travel insurance before. TravelGuard has a good rate for Protection Assist Policy. Want it just in case illness or accident before and on cruise. Is this a good company? The cruise lines wanted double the amount for a policy. Any info appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Travel Insurance

Charlene.
TravelGuard is one of the top 3rd party insurance providers. Have used them a number of times myself. Thankfully I haven't needed to collect, but have heard they are very good about that as well.
Regards,
Kuki
Old December 7th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Charlene,
You can also compare CSA:<http://www.csatravelprotection.com/insure/default.ssc> and compare, have used them and had no problems. Its always a good idea to carry the travel insurance, have a great cruise.

Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 8th, 2001, 02:22 PM
HannaS77

I do not know what you mean by double the rate. The rates charged per $100 of coverage varies from insurer to insurer. In the days now gone by the rates used to be $4.50 to $5.50 per $100. Today they run from $7.50 to more than $10.00 per hundred.

CSA has been recommended and their pricing is based on age brackets, which is a good for the younger passengers. However, I just read their 21 page explanation of what you get and what you do not get. In my years in the insurance industry we use to refer to these as "deducts" One page of what you get and ten or more pages of what you do not get.

I use Travelex although their rates may be higher than Travel Guard, which is also a good market. I cannot recommend travel insurance obtained as part of the cruise line passenger ticket since the insurer that really provides the coverage tends to be more restrictive than competing insurers that offer insurance through travel agent.

The majority of the passengers that buy the insurance do so for the possibility they may have to cancel the cruise. I consider all the other coverage to be "schmaltz" which is Yiddish for fat. If you do a lot of cruising you may want to look into an annual accident and health policy and then use a cruise line that offers Cancellation Waiver. This is not insurance but can be relatively inexpensive. You can cancel for any reason provided you notify the cruise line as required in the evidence of insureance you receive.
Hanna S77
Old December 29th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Frank

Is it really worth it?..How much for a 7 day cruise?