Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2001, 02:50 AM
First Mate

Default Price adjustment policies (& disappearance of

Couple of questions/comments:

Has anyone noticed MyTravelCo seems to have removed their net sight guarantee stating they will adjust your price if the cruise price drops? I had no trouble getting an adjustment on a Mediterranean cruise this past spring that I had booked. All I had to do was tell our T/A & it was done.

We are sailing this spring w/some friends. . We notified our T/A of a low price we found when booking, & he matched it, albeit less than enthusiastically. This time, when we saw a reduction, we seemed to have more trouble getting the adjustments. The proof required to prove the drop was ridiculous when the agent could look right online & see it himself! He said it was harder to get us the new price because he had to go to his boss for an o.k. & his boss didn't like it. Our co-cruisers were pretty upset about all the hassle, as they had just booked another cruise for next Aug. to Tahiti with the same T/A, & emailed the agent a copy of the pricedrop guarantee & did receive the adjustment. The price they paid for the Tahitit cruise ended up being higher than quoted since they waited just a couple of days to book from the quote date. They sort of felt that the T/A was getting them back for the price adjustment go-round on the spring cruise. (Tahiti has been cancelled, as it was on Ren.) There was recently another price drop & the T/A has said there is nothing he can do, even though final payment time is not yet here. He realized our friends are in a cabin that is convenient to others on the cruise & is betting they will stay with him. They will not when they book for Tahiti. In the past few years, we received better service from him & it seemed like he had more leeway. We are not really sure if he truly gets grief from the head honcho or if because we look for deals he feels we are just not worth the trouble.(Though our friends do always book mid to higher priced cabins.)

The first time we dealt w/this T/A, both families received upgrades. Back then he was with a company that did lots of RCCL business & was not part of MyTravelCo. Do you think the big conglomerate agencies are causing a breakdown in the price matching/price guarantees? I know it's a pain to get the adjustments, but it seems most agents say they are happy to do it. At least until they get your business. I don't even expect my agent to find the price drops (though I have read on this sight about many who do).

Last of all, I am a little worried that once we pay the entire amount for our cruise (due in a couple of weeks), we will see more price cutting & will really be trapped as I don't think our T/A will intervene to try to get us the lower price, which is probably the only way we MIGHT be able to get it.
Any advice on what to do if that circumstance arises will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Price adjustment policies (& disappearance

If the price of your cruise comes down before final payment is made, you should ALWAYS get the price reduction. If your TA is giving you excuses, and not giving you the discount, GET A NEW TA!
Until finaly payment is made, you can always cancel and rebook at the lower price anyway.

Once final payment is made the cruise lines May lower prices, for New Bookings ONLY. This is an unfortunate catch 22 situation. You could still cancel and rebook at the lower price, but would have to decide if it's worth it, because there would be some penalties involved.
If the sailing is far enough out, the amount of savings could conceivably make it worth paying the cancellation penalty and rebooking.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 8th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Robocop

Cruiselover,
One of the problems that has arisen because of the 9/11 attacks is cruiselines offering huge discounts to fill ships. By doing so they have really been hurting as all the T/A's have been going back and trying to get their customers the lower prices and thereby causing the cruiselines to lose even more money! In order to aviod this they are placing many new restrictions on a number of the 'special' prices, some of which are that these new prices are only for new bookings. As some were just cancelling and then rebooking they have begun using software that identifies those that had prior bookings and will not honor the new greatly reduced pricing on the same cruise. To put it bluntly, it is one huge mess out there right now and even all these great TA's that have always adjusted the price to reflect the lowest fare possible, sometimes they just can't do it with a previously booked customer, therefore, to aviod accusations of false advertising, many are changing what they say. These companies still do there best to ensure you get the best deal possible, (that's how they stay in business), but by the same token, they certainly don't want to promise something that is sometimes impossible for them to deliver. The Cruise industry is going through some major changes right now but it should all settle down soon.
Jim
Old December 9th, 2001, 12:37 PM
holly

Thats just peachy for the TAs and cruise lines. If I have not paid in full and am in the no penalty stage and can't get an adjustment for a drop of $75/pp I WILL totally cancel the cruise. This is not food, housing or the utility bills. I can live without a specific vacation. There are certainly enough purveyors, both TA's and cruise lines out there, all seeking my business and many of the itineraries are very similar. Comparably I suppose the cruise lines ought to be able to raise prices but then they would have to allow for cancellation at any time for those who could not afford the increase. Wonder if they want to deal with that "hassle?"
Old December 9th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Robocop wrote:
>
. As
> some were just cancelling and then rebooking they have begun
> using software that identifies those that had prior bookings
> and will not honor the new greatly reduced pricing on the
> same cruise.

Jim,
I've certainly not heard of this.. but if it's true.. that's about the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard.
People can just scoot "across the street" and book elsewhere. I'd be VERY surprised if the cruise lines are prepared to turn away customers with money in hand, whether they cancelled previously or not!!!!

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 9th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Robocop

What I am saying Kuki is that in many of the new cases, these offers are for "new bookings" only and that means that you cannot cancel the cruise and then just rebook the same one and get the greatly reduced price. As I am not a TA I have no first-hand knowledge but what I have been hearing from the TA's is that the Cruiselines are not letting them do this. These huge discounts for the most part are usually coming out after the final payment date anyway so that question is often moot. I am sure that most TA's are changing the language in their advertisements in attempts ot avoid those that are 'sue-happy' and I can't blame them for that. I still think that most TA's will continue to provide the same great service we expect of them. If they don't, they know we will go elsewhere.
Jim