Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2001, 10:49 AM
MIguel

Default Recognizing Staff by their uniform

Hello Cruiselovers!

I will be enbarking on my first cruise in the Caribbean next year, and was wondering how one can tell an officer from a captain, or for that matter how can you tell someone working "the machines" or navigation and one working the "hotel" area. Is there any source where I can find out how to distinguish the staff by their uniform?

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Recognizing Staff by their uniform

Hi Miguel,
I found this info. on the Princess site, hope it is what you were looking for:

They're sharp-looking and social-minded, energetic and easygoing. They're everywhere at once and always with a welcoming attitude and friendly smile. Who are these experienced professionals whose responsibilities range from navigating the ship to creating the day's activity plan? They're the onboard staff, and their primary concerns are ensuring your safety and providing you with the best vacation you've ever had. To help you get acquainted, the following is an introduction to who's who on board:
Officers
The Captain is in command of your ship and is your official host for the cruise. He is assisted by the ship's officers and staff, who are organized into departments. You can recognize an officer's department by the color of epaulet worn on his or her shoulders.

Deck Department
The Deck Department, headed by the Staff Captain, is responsible for all the duties performed by the officers manning the bridge. These seasoned professionals are distinguished by their black and gold epaulets. Safety and security fall under the jurisdiction of the Deck Department as does the maintenance of the ship's appearance. Members of the Deck Department paint the ship and keep the decks and swimming pools clean. In short, the Staff Captain and his crew are the people in charge of keeping your vessel shipshape throughout your cruise.

Engine Department
The Chief Technical Officer heads the Engine Department and is assisted by the Staff Engineer Officer and Staff Electro-Technical Officer. Departmental responsibilities include the ship's propulsion system, climate control and power generation. The Staff Electro-Technical Officer deals with electrical distribution and the ship's satellite and radio communications. Engineering Officers and Electro-Technical Officers wear burgundy and gold epaulets.

Hotel Department
You'll recognize members of the Hotel Department by the white and gold epaulets on their uniforms. The Passenger Services Director is in charge, along with his Staff Purser and First Purser. The Purser's staff handles all of the hotel responsibilities for the entire ship -from stateroom, public room and dining room services to providing all food and supplies for both passengers and crew. Also in this department are a number of officers who don't wear epaulets, such as the Maitre d'Hotel who maintains the excellent standards of service in all dining areas, and the Executive Chef who supervises all food production on board.

Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 11th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Chichi

Now, donna, tell us what an epaulet is. Just kidding. Did you get this off the Princess website? Great information!
Old December 11th, 2001, 05:23 PM
First Mate

I read somewhere that you can get a general ideas of an officers rank by the number and thickness of bars on the cuffs and the epaulets. For example, the captain might have four 2" bars while the first officer would have three 2" bars and one 1" bar. Also, the symbol above the bars can tell you the department, but this varies (slightly) from line to line.
Old December 11th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Chichi,
Yep, got it on the Princess web-site, I knew I saw that somewhere, and no, have no clue what "epaulet" is??Sorry:-) Now, if I could remember who is who.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 12th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Yeoman

What happened to the days when a ship's officer would host a table at dinner? Seems like a lot of questions could be answered and the nautical knowledge level of the passengers (guests) would benefit. Maybe the ship's officers don't speak enough english these days, or perhaps they would rather keep their distance from today's cruisers. It would seem a cruise would be a more complete experience if you could dine with a member of the deck or navigation team.
Old December 27th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Ellen Stamper

I don't know much about cruising, but I do know what "epaulets" are! They are fabric covered boards that wrap around the flap that runs from the shoulder to the collar on shirts...also known as shoulder boards. Hope this helps!