CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Mattress and $5000.00 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/240356-mattress-5000-00-a.html)

Abby December 28th, 2001 09:05 PM

Mattress and $5000.00

Good day everyone. Please give your opinion on the mattresses for a seven day cruise. By the end of the cruise are you dying to get in a 'real' bed - we are looking at Alaska cruise 7 Day and have heard the NCL mattress is uncomfortably thin. PLEASE compare-contrast on multiple ships. B-T-W, does anyone know if $5000 for two (early May) is a fair estimate for the total cost of the cruise including one or two shore excursions, RT flights from Orlando, precruise hotel (one night in either Vancouver or Seattle) and one post cruise night in Orlando (when we return), plus the CostExtras.

Thank you.
Abby

Chyna_C December 28th, 2001 09:18 PM

Re: Mattress and $5000.00

I recently just did my first seven day cruise and I slept like a baby the whole time. When I first sat on the bed I thought NO WAY I can sleep on the rock for seven nights. It was some of the best rest I have had in a long time!!

Chyna

andrew December 28th, 2001 09:22 PM

We sailed the Grand Princess and slept like logs for 7 nights. Can't say for sure whether it was the mattress or the rocking sea, but I was not anxious to get back into a "real" bed. For what it's worth.

jimm December 29th, 2001 10:37 AM

As I have said on various occasions, my wife and I would prefer paddling a leaky kayak to Alaska rather than go on an NCL ship. Let's just say, the mattresses you describe would not surprise me...but that's just a useless personal opinion.

$5000 for a cruise to Alaska plus pre- and post-cruise hotels? Seems reasonable depending on how budget conscious you are.

HOWEVER...keep in mind that the real value of an Alaskan cruise is "Off the Ship." There is so much history, culture, and environment to experience that it would be a shame to miss it. The state of Alaska puts out a great guide with tips on where to go, what to see, low-cost excursions, etc. You'll save all sorts of money booking your own side trips compared with what the ship offers. Also check out we sites for the individual towns you'll visit.

Alaska is a phenomenal experience. Go make the most of it.

JimM

Rick December 29th, 2001 12:07 PM

They have mattresses on cruise ships!!!!!!??????? Now I find out ...after falling asleep everynight in front of my favorite poker slot..dreaming sweet dreams of royal straight flushes dancing through my mind. lol.

meemo January 1st, 2002 12:51 AM

We were on the Carnival Elation last year and at the end of the cruise we were trying to figure out how to take those beds with us! very comfortable, we took many naps and slept in late through out the cruise
=)

pamda January 3rd, 2002 01:55 PM

I am a self-professed mattress snob (Select Comfort) and have never had a bad mattress on a cruise ship.

I like them hard (no salacious comments, please) so the sleeping has always been terrific. Especially with the movement of the ship.

pamda