Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2002, 06:07 PM
Passenger

Default Margarita Island?????

I posted on the "port of call" board but thought I would try here also. Just found out that the Galaxy now goes to Margarita Island, Venezuela and I would like some information on it. has anyone been there and if so what is there to do or see?
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Margarita Island?????

Highy recommend doing a tour there. We did and enjoyed it very much. Other than tours, there did'nt seem much to do there. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me. However, we think the tour was great.
Rick and Deb

Ps http://www.celebritycruises.com/asp/default.asp .....click on shore excursions......Margarita Is
Old January 6th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Tim Agg

Default Re: Margarita Island?????

We visited Isla da Margarita on a HAL Zaandam cruise in November. Ships currently dock some miles from the main town, and there is little available nearby, so shore excursions seem to be the best option here.

We wanted something away from the tourist centres that day so opted for a 4WD trip to the western end of the island. Two vehicles, two drivers/guides and 12 people total. The jeeps are enclosed but with open ceiling - breezy but hot, so take a hat. The guides are wonderful - funny, informative, intent on ensuring you have a good time. They stock lots of bottled water and other drinks. There's some off-road driving at a very scenic spot but they go mostly on paved roads - nothing too demanding. The trip goes to the more isolated half of the island, and includes an hour at a lovely sandy beach that you have almost all to yourself. On return to the ship, there's a final stop in a small fishing village with a visit to a small marine museum and aquarium - pleasant and air conditioned! The day is very pretty and lots of fun.

I did not hear much from people who took other tours, but did not notice much complaining in the dining room that night!