Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Secure luggage

Read on another board about using cable ties on luggage--would that be instead of, or addition to a lock? I had thought of wrapping the entire bag with duct tape as our luggage has taken a lot of abuse. Any reason why we should not do this, especially air line regulations? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Secure luggage

I use cable ties because I can't keep track of the tiny padlock keys. My wife grudgingly carries a small pair of wire cutters in her purse. Anyone with a knife can cut them but anyone with a knife can cut into your bags. I can open them quickly if they are singled out for inspection. I keep a supply in an outside pocket to redo the zippers.

Duct tape is certainly secure but a pain if the line piles up behind you while you undo it at a security check, then there is no way to re secure your bag. I suppose a well taped bag would mean you travel a lot.

Speaking of tape, I adorn my luggage with two inch yellow cloth tape found at home depot, among others. The cruise bag busters always comment that it makes it easy for them when they deliver bags to the room. I do it not only to be able to pick out my bags on the luggage carrousel but it seems to prevent others from grabbing my bags by "mistake". I really use a lot of tape.

Pamda says she doesn't lock her bags and dares anyone to look inside.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old January 5th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Admiral

That is because I tie police crime scene tape around my luggage, Don.

Seriously, cable ties are a great idea. Once you cut off the "tails" they are almost impossible to detect and any baggage bandit will simply give up and move on to another piece of luggage.

One hint ... never leave your luggage unattended when you are packing half a ham and your own set of knives. That can be a pain.

pamda
Old January 5th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info. I am off to Home Depot! Are wire cutters legal in a carry-on?
Old January 5th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

OK, I'll show my ignorance. What are cable ties????
Old January 5th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Elaine,
Now is not a good time to be duct taping your luggage, these days they are randomly checking luggage and you could be asked to open up your luggage for them to check, just seen it done a few times. I would just make sure you have a good lock on your luggage in case they ask you to open them.

Happy Cruising.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 5th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Yeoman

Donna...They are plastic doodads that were designed to fasten wire bundles but can be used for anything. I discovered them all by myself in the electrical dept at Home Depot and was outraged to learn that everyone else has been using them for ages. Listed as "Cable Ties" or "Amarras para cables", they come in all sizes and colors. Get a hefty size, don't worry about length, as Pam says, you can cut off the ends. Good question about the wire cutters, haven't been through security since 9-11. Last time my wife flew she used nail clippers. Even though I found her a set of really small cutters, she doesn't like having them in her purse. I keep a set in my camera bag. Not sure how you would hijack an airplane or commandeer a ship with one set of wire cutters.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old January 5th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Donna ...

Think about the closers for garbage bags in the past that had little "teeth" and you'd thread one end through the other. Same idea.

A nail clipper cuts them off easily. Just don't put it in your pocketbook.

I really can't envision an army of women taking over a plane with nail clippers and emroidery scissors. But I guess the FAA can.

We put the cutters in a zippered pocket of checked luggage. But, if you forget, ask the cabin steward for a corkscrew. They have (very dull) knives attached, but they work.

I don't know of any reason to lock carry-on luggage because it will be in your control at all times. There is this tempting vision of putting a jack-in-the-box in a carryon just in case I'm the lucky winner in the inspection lottery.

pamda -- very glad that Donna's home !!!
Old January 6th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Yeoman

Jack-in-the-box? Then you would be sued by the illegal alien doing the inspection for causing him/her to soil themselves.
Old January 8th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

We recently purchased some "more expensive" luggage that had combination locks on them instead of the little padlocks with keys - I loved them because you can set your own combinations. I found that our local K's Merchandise - a Service Merchandise type store carries these type locks in their luggage department for a minimal cost. We now have combination locks for all of our luggage and we do not have to keep track of the keys!

Ties are great -you can usually buy them in the automotive departments for about 10 for a dollar.
Old January 8th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Yeoman

Somehow I always leave with one less padlock than I had when I packed for the trip. We used aircraft safety wire when traveling in the Navy. Twist it on with pliers or a special tool when packing, borrow (or steal) wire snips when you get where you are going. Would rip up the bags it rubbed against, not to mention your hands. Very secure, maybe we could start something.