Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2002, 11:10 PM
jim duzak

Default trans-atlantic crossings on small cruise ships

I have sailed on the Seabourn Pride in the Caribbean, and greatly enjoyed the ship and the Seabourn "style". I have been thinking of taking a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise on either the Pride or one of its sister ships (all approximately 200 passengers), but am concerned about the stability of such a small ship on open ocean waters. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken such a cruise, either on a Seabourn ship or any other small (500 or fewer passengers). Was it a good experience?
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: trans-atlantic crossings on small cruise ships

Jim ==>

While in the Air Force years ago, I made two trips across the North Atlantic on a merchant marine ship...my first and last. Granted...this was no cruise ship. On the 3rd day out of Bremerhaven, we ran into 55 ft seas. Thank goodness I'm not prone to seasickness. For several days, only nine of us made it to the dining room. I really felt sorry for the wives who were on board.

Cold, windy, but bright. Saw a bunch of icebergs off in the distance. It just makes me wonder...if the seas were like this in clear but very windy weather, what was "The Perfect Storm" really like???

Thanks...but I'll fly to Europe...then board the ship.
Old January 9th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Winner

We sailed the Pride last September from London to New York (but we arrived in Boston and debarked there on Sept. 21). There were some roughish days but no one seemed to be seasick. My husband loves sea days and I love ports; this cruise of 21 days satisfied both of us. I say :do it!" We will probably do another trans-Atlantic in the future.
Old January 10th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Hi, Jim ...

The smallest ship we've sailed on in heavy water was Marco Polo (22,000 tons) crossing the Tasmin Sea from New Zealand to Australia. It was rough going and a lot of people WERE sick.

Balancing, the roughest ride we've ever had was on Legend of the Seas (PanaMax ship). That night there were exactly three people in the bar who were not waitstaff. EVERYBODY was sick. (Except us and a young lady named Debbie from Normal, Illinois.)

In consultation with my husband, The Ancient Mariner, the best thing I can say is ships of different sizes take the water differently and a lot depends upon the route and the weather.

A friend and I were on two different ships (Rottie VI and Millie) doing trans-Atlantics at exactly the same time. My ride was rocky ("Please, ladies will not wear high heels tonight") and hers was as smooth as glass.

A trans-Atlantic is a wonderful trip. With all the at-sea days you develop more acquaintances than you would in a port-intensive cruise.

I say, GO FOR IT !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor