Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tipping in advance

I have heard that tipping in the beginning of your cruise buys you a little more service. Have you found this to be your experience?
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping in advance

Hi, deb ...

There is a lot of controversy over this practice. Some say it helps, others say it doesn't.

We generally slip the cabin steward a $10 when we first meet him and always have excellent service. We might have had the same service anyway, I don't know.

When we cruised with my elderly mom and her friend, we upped it a bit, just to make sure they didn't want for anything.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 12th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Hi, deb ...

There is a lot of controversy over this practice. Some say it helps, others say it doesn't.

We generally slip the cabin steward a $10 when we first meet him and always have excellent service. We might have had the same service anyway, I don't know.

When we cruised with my elderly mom and her friend, we upped it a bit, just to make sure they didn't want for anything.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 13th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Yeoman

I"ve done the twenty in advance. Some gratefully pocket it and others gently instruct me the ship will let me know when and what to tip. I suppose if you insist on double the number of towels, two or three ice buckets, a pyramid of toilet paper and totally clean out the bathroom of goodies every day, you ought to pay something up front.
Old January 15th, 2002, 08:56 AM
david d

On our last cruise after the first night I felt that the waiter was average. Unknown to me until just recently, my wife approached him and gave him $20 and told him to take care of me. He tried to not accept but my wife insisted and told him she'd give him another $20 if he does what she requests. Well, he was the best waiter I ever had. In the end, I tipped him $60 and my wife tipped him $40. Was it worth it? Yes. He truly was oustanding.
Old January 15th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Admiral

....you had to tip your waiter 100 dollars to give you good service? Yep I guess 100 would do it <G>
Rick
Old January 15th, 2002, 07:25 PM
gogetter

Hello,

I agree with Rick...you had to dish out $100....times that for every 2 people he serves....hhhmmmm...now that is making money.

I usually tip some in the beginning, only asking for extra towels and to make sure there is ice. Service is ok. I did make a mistake of tipping the cabin steward the 2nd to last morning and never saw him again. I saw him the last day and he gave me some saong and dance about forgetting.....YEA RIGHT !!!!!!!!
Old January 16th, 2002, 02:51 PM
jp garnier

On New Year eve I gave my stewardess a gratuity in recgnition of the event. It was the 2d day of 10 and I don't know if she did anything special but what she did, she did very well. Who knows. JP