Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Sue & Bill

Default Camcorder/Film ????'s

I need some information on what is the procedure for camcorder's & film going thru as carry-on's. We will be flying out of Cleveland, Ohio on Continental. We have always carried-on the camcorder with all the film. I have read where the x-ray equipment has been 'boosted' and it destroys film. Or is that the x-ray for checked baggage? Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Camcorder/Film ????'s

You are only allowed two pieces of carry-on luggage now. I imagine cameras are treated the same way laptops, which I travel with, are treated. They are removed from their bag and go through x--ray. Call your airline. They will tell you what you will have to do.

Carole
Old January 20th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I flew to Orlando in Nov and had my camcorder and 35mm cameras in my carry on. They went through the xray just fine. Never asked to open my bag. Again last week I flew to Tampa and same thing. This time I only had the 35mm's and a cd player in the carry on. Both times I flew out of Baltimore on US Air.

Perhaps the new equipment will do some damage. As Carol said above, call your airline.

Judy
Old January 21st, 2002, 12:04 PM
First Mate

Are there any photograpers out there with actual experience? As I posted a while back under another subject, I have the same concerns for print film,200 or 400 speed plus digital film, and memory sticks for cam corder. I wonder if the impact on film is the same before or after you shoot it? My understanding over many years is that the biggest danger is repetative trips thru machine. I am using film processing at my destination more now, and I have no idea for digital. I will be contacting photo magazine sites before I go to Alaska in May and will share what I find out.
Old January 21st, 2002, 05:42 PM
Sue & Bill

THANK YOU JOHN.....That will be great......
Old January 21st, 2002, 09:54 PM
First Mate

I posted the subject on popphoto.com just a while ago. We will see what kind of response I get. Similar subjects on there over last few months were not big sellers! I did find a Reuters article that the new postal eradication scanners would destroy film and digital memory cards. So we still have a problem.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I haven't flown since the new regs went into effect, but in the past I always asked to have my cameras and film hand checked. It's a little more of a bother (especially for the security people -- they don't always like to do it because it can slow things down and is more work for them -- but be persistant. Better safe than sorry.) You'll probably have to turn the camcorder on so they can see it's really a camcorder. I also pack all my film in plastic zip lock bags so they can see it's really film. They have a little "magic wand-y" kind of thing that they wave over the film canisters and doesn't hurt the film. Don't know about memory sticks and media, since I only recently got a digital camera and haven't flown with it yet; I'll be waiting to see what some of the other posters have to say...