Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Kathy M

Default Checked bags at airports

Can anyone tell me how often people are asked to open their checked bags. My mother is so upset that they will open her luggage and mess it up and she will have to repack it at the airport. She is so organized with her packing that this is making her a nervous wreck.
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2002, 09:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Checked bags at airports

From what I've seen it very random at the ticket counter. About 1 in every 30-40 passengers
Old January 20th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Yeoman

Unless you get a recently federalized otherwise unemployable alien, they don't dump everything out and leave you to stuff it back in. They simply poke and feel around.

Notice they've started wearing gloves. That's a shame. I've always wanted to have something wet in my bag just to see the expression on their face.
Old January 20th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Carole Dunham

Tell your mom it's better to be safe with a messy bag than dead!

Carole
Old January 20th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Admiral

I would hope there is no set pattern . It would make the checks less than secure if there was a set system of checking...it should be random just by its nature. If inspectors establish a regular pattern of checking..then they might as well not do it because the checks are compromised and predictable.
Old January 21st, 2002, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Kathy, I have a great BonVoyage present you can buy on line for Mom. Log onto ebags.com and look for the Pac It system. Since she is organized to begin with these will really help keep everything in its place. I bought a 3 pc. set for Christmas for my exceutive boss for almost the same price I paid 3 years ago for the largest Pack It folder. They are great and should help relieve some of the traveling stress.
Bon Voyage
Old January 21st, 2002, 04:46 PM
Yeoman

Kathy

Included in my RSSC documents was a flyer for a company that comes to your door, collects your luggage and delivers it to your hotel or cruise ship. I assume they ship it overnight using someone like Fedex. You are not involved in boxing or crating, they just pick up your bags and the next you see of them is in your room. On return, they collect the bags and deliver to your home. Not cheap but not unreasonable. It would seem the company would be far more accountable than the airlines. I intend to use them next time I fly where I change planes enroute. Your mother could rest easy.

A call to Raddison, or probably any upper echelon cruise company would probably put you in touch with them.
Old January 21st, 2002, 06:27 PM
Kathy M

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will tell Mom about all of them. The Fed Ex thing or the packing accesories sound great for her, She's glad they have random checks,they do make her feel safer as long as it's not her bag. (You know how mom's can be!)
Old January 21st, 2002, 06:36 PM
Yeoman

I can understand her concern. Customs checks are quick and very professional, two terms that aren't in the newly federalized unemployables are familier with.

Heard about a screener who fell asleep. The lady accepting bags on the conveyer belt kept trying to keep him awake but he would nod off. His co workers told passengers not to say anything or the airport would be shut down until everyone in the building including those who had boarded airplanes had been rescreened.