Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2002, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default calm seas

What would be the best place for me to sail? I want very calm seas as I am very nervous. My husband wants to go on a cruise next spring. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2002, 08:50 PM
Mike Mastellar

Default Re: calm seas

Sandy;
I would suggest a Alaska Inside passage cruise. Usually quite calm and beautiful scenery.

Second would be the Western Caribbean. Cuba acts as a big wave break between the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

On any ship there will always be some movement. You are on the ocean. I would also choose a cabin on a lower deck towards the middle of the ship. This area has the least movement.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host 7:00 PM PST
Old February 1st, 2002, 11:39 PM
Carole Dunham

There is nothing sailing to Alaska in April. It's too early in the season but I would agree with Mike. These are really calm seas. That being said, ocean rules are broken all the time. One of the roughest cruises I've ever been on was in the Western Caribbean.

I don't know where your fear lies, but if it's about getting seasick, I would advise traveling with the Patch and getting some Bonine (over the counter and cheap) as well. Between the two they will stop any motion sickness right away, before it begins. If you're afraid of the ship's safety, any cruiseline sailing out of US waters must be in compliance with SOLAS (safety of life at sea) standards. It isn't that ships can't sink, it's that they don't. If they did, their Global Positioning System would notify the nearest coast guard and/or navy where they were within a 90 ft. radius within 2 minutes. They carry twice as many lifeboats as people onboard and they are just a whole lot more careful than they were in the old days. Cruiselines don't want to lose their passengers and crew or their multi million dollar babies either. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and relax into what we all love. Hope you do too.

Carole
Old February 2nd, 2002, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sandy,
You may also want to look at the RCCL's Voyager class ships, they are so big, you hardly feel much movement at all. There are 3 now to choose from doing Eastern, Western and Southern. Also having a window or balcony will help settle your stomach, and I also travel with bonnine and so far have never needed it.

Are there any specific islands you want to see, may-be start there and then find the ships that go there, good luck and have fun!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 3rd, 2002, 11:34 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

calmest sea is eastern, werstern caribbean. Ive been on almost 300 cruises and thats the smoothest, howver u can feel movemment anywhere depends on wind direction and air currents. best cabin as mentioned is lower down center, DONT get window as u will feel motion by looking out. Also size of ship DOESNOT make it much smoother, ocean is very big any ship in rough weather , you will feel movement.
Old February 4th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Yeoman

Might try a three or four day Bahamas cruise out of MIA or FLL. The islands provide a sea break and are so close the ship doesn't have to make any way to get there on time. Odds of calm (boringly smooth, like are we really at sea?) sea state are best.

A cheap way to build your confidence.
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:46 PM
David Starkey

Sailing from San Juan with a port every day may be a good option.
Not much sea time on most of the 7 day San Juan iten.(unlike the miami 7 day cruises.)