Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Upgrades on RCI - how do they work?

I would like to have a better understanding of how RCI does their upgrades. On most of our 5 previous RCI cruises, the ships have been nearly full, so no changes were offered.

We will be on the Legend March 3 and it is not full yet, nor do we have our documents. We selected a cabin from the first reservation.

Are we considered frequent cruisers when it would come to an up grade? Do they take a look at everyone and move everyone up if there is room at the top, or just not bother? It seems like they would move people up whenever they could to generate good will.

But maybe we are clueless. Can anyone give us a better picture of how this works?

Thanks! 22 days til we leave and counting!
Beth
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Upgrades on RCI - how do they work?

While I certainly think previous cruise experience enters into RCI's choice for upgrades, I think there are a number of factors. Certainly when you booked will have something to do with it too. First come,first serve you know. Then there is always the upgrade fairy. I may believe in him/her but the fairly clearly doesn't believe in Carole.

Carole
Old February 7th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Beth,
Somethimes there is no rhyme or reason for upgrades, here is a link to an article that explains the upgrade process:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/con-affairs/upgrades.cfm>

I think if you book a guarantee cabin, you have a little better chance for one, but it has happened when you book a cabin, not often, good luck.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

It is truly a mystery!! I have been upgraded twice on RCI. The first was my first cruise in '86. I booked a specific inside cabin during peak season, almost a year before the cruise. We were upgraded to an outside cabin on the same deck. In '00 I booked a guaranty cat.Q about 2 months before the cruise. This was in Dec and we were upgraded to an outside cabin.

My conclusion is; it all depends on what price cabin you booked, the time of the season and how early you booked and most of all did that elusive upgrade fairy visit you!!

Judy
Old February 7th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Robocop

As you have booked a specific cabin you will not get an upgrade unless someone whom the cruiseline deems more important than you desires that cabin at which time the cruiseline will contact you and make you a wonderful offer as a in a great upgrade or onboard credit if you agree. If you do not agree then you will keep your cabin.
Jim
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default RCI Upgrades

I just spoke with a Crown and Anchor consultant. Upgrades are done when rooms are available (obviously!) in order of your cruise points on Royal Caribbean. I'm not sure all the ways you get cruise points, but it's at least related to how many cruises you've gone on and what level of cabins you've previously purchased. Something on the order of 1 point per regular cabin, 2 for balcony, etc. They do not combine points within a cabin, they take the highest ranking point member of the cabin. If things roll in your favor, they will call you with details and let you decide case by case if you want the upgrade BUT if you don't answer and call back within 60 minutes, you lose the upgrade. Typically you need to be a diamond plus or diamond member to have much of a chance, but sometimes groups of diamond members want to stay together on a floor or whatever reason they DO refuse upgrades, so never know.

Hope this helps.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Good luck, I hope you get upgraded; it is always nice to get a little something extra to start off your vacation.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds