Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cigarettes

Are they cheaper on ship and how many can we buy?
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Cigarettes

Yes, they are cheaper. You can buy as many as you want but, you cannot bring whatever you want through customs without paying the duty. I believe it is two cartons per person duty free. That is where the savings are.

Judy
Old February 8th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Mike Mastellar

Tina;
If you buy them by the carton they are cheaper than the prices we have here in Minnesota. As Judy said, you can only bring back 2 cartons per person.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host 7:00 PM Pacific Time
Old February 8th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Admiral

I believe cigarettes are around $2 per pack, and you can buy a carton or two. You'll find them in the duty free shop.
Princess is the only cruise line which doesn't sell cigaretts in the duty free. You can also buy them ashore for a comparable price and bring them aboard.
Old February 8th, 2002, 09:12 PM
HannaS77

I thought I had replied and perhaps the monitors did not post, thinking my response might infringe copyright laws. Publications by the U.S. Government are not subject to copyright. The following is from the Custom Regulations in " Know Before You Go"Cigars and Cigarettes":Up to l00 cigars and 200 cigarettes(one carton) may be included in your $400 exemption. Tobacco products of Cuban origin are generally prohibited. This exemption is available to each person. Cigarettes, however, may be subject to a tax imposed by state or local government.
It is recommended that you obtain from the Custom Service a free copy of "Know Before You Go." From the department of the treasury, U.S. Custom Service, Washington, D.C.20229. The publication is also available from many District Offices of the Treasury/Custom in the larger cities throughout the U.S.
HannaS77
Old February 9th, 2002, 03:25 PM
HannaS77

Whoops. Please excuse my age for I neglected to inform you that US Customs is on the WEB. Go to Keyword and type in :
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/know.htm

You should click on travel information if this does not bring up Know Before You Go. You probably may not want to download and print out since is comes out as 22 pages. You can always set up as a Fovorite Place.

The info on the WEB seems to be more interesting than my latest copy of the pamphlet which is easier to schlep around. You also might weant to read the regulations about bringing in medication from o/s the U.S.

Unfortunately, the latest info does not cover duty fees on such as liquor, which is covered in about a five or six year old pamplet and is very interesting.The duty fees on a bottle of liquor is very low compared to the FederalExcise Tax or State Liquor taxes. Enough said-
HannaS77
Old February 11th, 2002, 09:35 AM
First Mate

If you purchase cigs. in St. Thomas, you can bring in 5 cartons to the US. When I was there new years, they were $15.95 a carton......jean
Old February 16th, 2002, 07:53 AM
First Mate

I was in St Thomas over new years & the cartons are still 15.95. If you purchase the there you can bring back 5 carton per person. St Marteen on the other hand is around 11.00 per carton. Thats where I bought mine but told customs I purchased the in St Thomas.
George