Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Doyle

Default Staterooms on NCL Sky

We are a family of four taking our very first cruise at the end of March on Sky. Someone mentioned in their review of the staterooms on Sky that if one were height/weight proportionate they wouldn't have any problem. I am tall (6'4") and built like a football player (or a football, some say). What, exactly, am I going to have problems with? What do I do if I can't sleep in the bunk beds our room is equipped with? (Our room will have one bed below and one bed above on both sides.) Also, will there be room for luggage for four people? Can the room steward stow luggage anywhere else on the ship? Any help you can give here would be greatly appreciated. You know how we "first time cruisers" obsess about what it will be like!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Staterooms on NCL Sky

Hi, Doyle ...

I just answered some of Rachel's questions in e-mail.

I think the beds below are standard singles and the ones above fold down. (I have not sailed on the Sky, I am going by what a friend reported.) My husband is 6'2" and didn't have a problem on a ship where the beds couldn't be put together.

Yep, the cabin steward can store luggage for you. You might want to pack the kids (well, not the kids ... their stuff) in duffle bags which can smoosh up inside other luggage.

Go ahead and obsess, it's part of the fun. Whatever we can do here for you to take the mystery out of a new experience, we will try our best to do.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Mike Mastellar

Doyle;
I am 6' 2" 240lbs and sailed the Sky in October of 2000. I had no problem with the shower. Don't expect a lot of room but also don't expect having to fight the curtain for space either.

I don't know if you are in a inside, outside or balcony cabin. I was in a stern balcony cabin. I think it is now a Cat AB. There was plenty of room to store luggage under the bed. My wife and I pack like we are four people.

On the other hand, the inside cabins can be quite small. You will probably have to ask the cabin steward/ess to stow your luggage for you. Which they will do gladly.

The bed was o.k. but seeing as you are 2 inches taller than myself you may experience a bit of the "foot overhang". My brother and his wife were in the cabin next to us and requested a foam pad for the bed. They received it right away.

One other thing. If you are in a balcony cabin and being tall, watch out for the "dreaded bed lamps". They were positioned at the top of the bed in such a way that I wacked myself numerous times. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter than I am, had no problem.

Otherwise the Norewegian Sky is a beautiful ship and we loved our cruise.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host and is a little more than 240lbs now.
Old February 10th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Doyle, I'm 6-4 185 and had no problem with the beds on the Sky. I must say, though, that it was the only ship (of 5 I've been on) I ever requested a foam pad for the bed -- it was hard as a rock. I waited two days before asking ... you might as well ask when the cabin steward first checks in.

We, too, had a balcony room. We had no problem with storing the suitcases under the bed. I do recall, though, that drawer space was minimal, so I ended up using the vanity drawers (and I think even the nightstand).

I still need to write a review (we were on in April 2001!!) but I liked Norwegian and the Sky very much. The staff was very friendly, and the entertainment -- especially Jane Powell -- was great. We liked personal choice dining a lot, too -- made the trip very relaxing 'cause the only schedule we met was our own.

They have toiletries in the baths, which had great built-in storage. Shower was small as usual, but the showerhead is one of those European style, so I didn't have a problem getting my lower extermities.

Hope this helps,
Harry Martin
Old February 11th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Sky in August. My husband and I are both 5'3". We had a balcony room. NOT enough room for 4 people, especially one your size. We felt it was not even big enough if we were to bring our 8 yo son with us on another trip. I am average weight for my height and I fought with the shower curtain every day, don't know how the previous poster avoided it. The beds are hard and we both hit our heads on the lamps every day - we laughed each time because we had seen "warnings" about this on several sites. I would suggest at least a suite on this ship for the size of your group.