Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Default cell phones

just wondering if there are any rules aboard ships prohibiting cell phone usage? i will be taking my first cruise on the carnival truimph and thought i could save a few cents by getting my email via the phone vs. those pricey internet cafes on board. thanks, karen
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: cell phones

I've never had a problem using mine. Although once you're at sea (and in some foreign ports) there is no service. By the way, many of the ports have Internet cafe on land -- I always use those (much cheaper -- $2 an hour in Mexico, for instance)

Harry
Old February 16th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Karen,
I too agree with Harry, I've found fast DSL internet service at some ports, usually you will find an internet cafe close by the pier and they are a lot cheaper than onboard.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 16th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Robocop

Karen,
There are no rules against using your cell phone onboard ship. The problem you will have is IF it will work in any of the ports, and it WILL NOT work at sea unless you have one of those very expensive ones that use satellite communications. What you should check into is one of the many Internet stands in tyhe ports. They are usually very cheap and the cheapest way to check your mail if you choose not to use the shipboard system.
Jim
Old February 16th, 2002, 08:13 PM
FloridaLvr

Why would you want to take a cell phone on vacation? Good grief!
I tend to think that some-I said some-would just as soon bite off their leg or arm than be without that cell phone! Do you know how annoying it is to be in a restaurant, etc. & have someone talking on their cell phone!!! They also seem to think the person on the other end is DEAF! Why is that?
(It is almost as annoying as someone who smokes!)
I just think if one cannot, just CANNOT be without it, why bother going on a vacation! Isn't the whole point of getting away from it all is just that? Getting away from it ALL?!
Please-leave the cell phones at home & drop them a post card-like a normal person on vacation!
Just my opinion!
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Admiral

if you had read my initial post carefully, florida lover, you would have understood that i was inquiring about being able to check email via the wireless web, not about using my cell phone on board. i have a sick relative and need to be in contact back at home. i, like you, dislike people who scream on their phones in restaurants...but they aren't as annoying as someone like you who jumps to conclusions, and uses this platform to vent frustrations instead of offering helpful solutions. to everyone else that has replied, your comments are greatly appreciated.
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Admiral

You may want to state where you are going (which ports) and which cell phone provider you have.

I have Sprint PCS and have had much luck on both Eastern and Western itiniaries. In most cases - I get a roaming signal and am paying about $1/minute for my calls. Sometimes less and sometimes more.

I have had very few problems in Bahamas and Mexico. I could use my phone in St. Thomas but not San Juan. Once, I got a roam signal and wasn't sure where it was coming from and then I heard "thank you for using Cuba cellular". That sort of shocked me.

I cruised in December about 2 weeks after my mom had bypass surgery. I found the cell worked great to call from port and check how things were going.

Good luck!
Old February 16th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Lana

Be careful about the cost involved on your cell phone. We just asked our TA about this & were advised be careful about roaming charges. Talked of one individual that used it for one call and it cost over $100.

As for the Internet Cafe on shore, does anyone know if they allow you to connect your camcorder so you can share some of your holiday with your kids at home?
Old February 17th, 2002, 12:38 PM
bre

I plan on taking my cell phone with me. Me and my husband are taking a cruise and our daughter (who will be 8 months old) is staying with a relative. And I plan on using it (if I have a signal) to call and check on her. I agree with Karen, I don't think that you should jump to conclusions. I don't like to see people using in resturaunts and talking so loud that you can hear them all the way across the room.

We will be going to St.Thomas, St. Croix, and San Juan. How is the cell phone service there? Internet cafes? Thanks!
Old February 17th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bre,
Been to both St. Thomas and San Juan and yes there are internet cafe's right near both piers, you should be able to spot them easily. It is true, you can get fast connections and pay a lot less than you would pay onboard the ship.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
bre

Thanks for the info Donna!!! :-)
Old February 18th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Orlana

Yeah cellphones aren't used by just rude people in restaurants. While I NEED a vacation my ONLY use for a cellphone is to keep in touch with my children. I would not go on vacation without it.
Old February 20th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good Grief FloridaLvr, why so judgemental? Checking her email via cell phone is a great idea!
Maybe one day they'll make a ship free of loud people, cell phone people, AND smokers! (and any other peeves u may have)
Or maybe you could charter your own ship!
Just a suggestion
Toni
Old February 20th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Toni, I love your style! Your comments have made my morning...

Karen (the original annoying cell phone user)