Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Linda T.

Default tips being pooled

Hi,
I just read a post on another board that said he has been a cruise waiter for about 15 years and when you give the waiters their envelopes they have to give all the envelopes to the head waiter and then they are divided among the waiters. He said that they like the new way of adding tips to your card because waiters can't "pocket money" by not turning it in. Has anybody ever heard of this before? I was shocked to read his post. Somehow I just can't believe it. Linda
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: tips being pooled

Hi Linda,
I have heard that, but not sure how true it is and if all the cruiselines do that??

Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 19th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Hi, Linda ...

Post your question on Chit-Chat for Cruisers. One of our regulars, Jennifer, is married to a man who was a waiter on a cruise ship.

pamda
Old February 20th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Yeoman

Disney has a system where you turn in a form that lists all your servers. You indicate the tip to each and the total is charged to your tab. You are then given gratuity envelope size cards with the amount allocated to that individual to give to the waiter/room steward.

Tipping procedure remains the same, just no cash involved.

The staff said they liked the procedure because the tips were added to their pay and they had a means to check that the amount was correct.

Doesn't sound like there was any pooling.
Old February 20th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Robocop

This is a reoccuring question that I personally just don't know how much, or if it is true. Looks like i have something else to check on during my very next cruise. The problem is finding someone that is willing to tell you what really goes on. They have to have your complete trust and know that they will not be 'outed' if they tell.
Jim
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Vicki C

Ask our waitress on the Pride in Feb. about this and they said yes that is how it is done. With the new system, tips on S&S they don't get the tips for 2 weeks.
Seems such a shame that they can't keep what they work for so hard. Since it all goes into a pool and everyone gets some of it. But I have never after 7 cruises seen a waiter or waitress that did not earn their share.
Vicki
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Robocop

If this is indeed the system them I will be making a complaint. This is the reason I also tip individually rather than have the amount taken from the S&S card. I reward those that do a good to excellant job, those that don't, should not be rewarded like those that work hard. Just my opinion, and a rather strong one at that! <G>
Jim
Old February 20th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Linda T.

Robocop,
I agree totally. When I read that post it shocked me, thats why I asked the question here, I was hoping it wasn't true. I like one persons idea on the chit chat board saying she would give her "extra tip" the night before tip night. I'm going to try that next cruise. I was a waitress too long to agree with tip pooling. If I do the work then I want the pay I earned, period. And they should have it too. I've been on 29 cruises now and I had great service and sometimes I've had bad service so I know everyone does not deserve the same tip, but if this is true they get it. Please do ask on your next one and let us know what you find out. I'll be right beside you when you make your complaint!! Linda
Old February 21st, 2002, 03:49 PM
jimbragg@cruisemates.com

Hi Linda, Consider the question asked and I WILL post it for all to see in both the message boards and ships review areas as well a chat. This is really something that I think people should be aware of one way or the other.
Jim