Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Default claustrophobia?

Hello, I will be going on my first cruise is May around the Greek Islands. We decided to go for an inside cabin, and I am just concerned about the size etc. Does it get stuffy in there? And will I feel claustrophobic? Also, what about that swaying feeling? How bad does it get when you are lying in bed trying to sleep--? Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: claustrophobia?

Hi, Amanda ...

There is no better way to go to sleep than the gentle rocking of the ship.

I'm not the right one to ask about claustrophobia. If I were in an inside, I would have to sleep with the door open, which would undoubtedly cause great consternation among staff and other passengers.

The air conditioning is excellent, so stuffy is not a problem.

Most insides are decorated in light, bright colors and there will be (fake) curtains to make you feel as though you are not inside unless you decide to look out.

What a wonderful choice for a first cruise !!!

If we can add anything else to your anticpation, just ask.

pamda -- CM FIrst-Time Cruisers EditorAmanda wrote:
>
> Hello, I will be going on my first cruise is May around the
> Greek Islands. We decided to go for an inside cabin, and I am
> just concerned about the size etc. Does it get stuffy in
> there? And will I feel claustrophobic? Also, what about that
> swaying feeling? How bad does it get when you are lying in
> bed trying to sleep--? Thanks,
Old February 20th, 2002, 02:36 PM
First Mate

Be sure to have wake up calls because you may not know if its day or night. It is great for sleeping in. In many cases it doesnt matter because your not in your room that much with all the activities going on board. They have fake curtains to look like a window and seems real at times.You will have a blast. My first cabin was inside and got me hooked. Rix
Old February 20th, 2002, 04:55 PM
DonnaR

I don't always sleep too well in strange beds. I have no problems on cruise ships because of the rocking motion. I actually miss it the first few nights I'm home. The rocking of the ship when I'm trying to take a shower is a whole 'nuther story...........
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Well then, it doesnt seem so bad afterall then! For some reason i had this picture in my head of me being able to touch all walls at once! I know i will be fine, but you know- you hear things, and then get sorta worried! Thanks,
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Amanda;

lol .. i had this picture in my head of me being able to touch all walls at once! I know i will be fine, but you know- you hear things

I took some Psychology classes do you want to discuss this issue? Rix
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:36 AM
Mike Mastellar

Amanda;
A nice trick is to leave the bathroom light on at night and leave the bathroom door slightly ajar or completely open. It depends on how much light you want. This gives you enough light to see inside the cabin but not too much to disturb your sleep.

I have a balance problem where I fall flat on my rear end if I am in total darkness so I have used this trick and also have left the TV on with the sound off to provide light.

If you have some light I don't think you will have any problem with claustrophobia.

Like Pamda, I also think there is nothing more condusive to sleep than the rocking of the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host and owner of a Mickey Mouse Night Light.
Old February 21st, 2002, 09:55 AM
Passenger

Thanks, you guys have been very helpful!! I think i'll be just fine- Rix, do you think I have a mental problem? , haha... The walls are closing in!! help help
Old February 21st, 2002, 10:17 AM
Ted

Amanda - We have been on about 10 cruises in the last 6 years. After the first one or two cruises in outside cabins, we switched to inside cabins & found them to be just fine. We bring a small nightlight & plug it in next to the TV. This gives us plenty of light to use the bathroom at night, etc. We also bring along a small clock with a lighted face. Hence, we know what time of day at all times. As some others have said, you are not in your cabin that much, so we find the lesser cost of the inside cabins enables us to have a "free" trip every 3rd cruise!! Enjoy.
Old February 21st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Amanda, I figured out this little trick when we had an inside room on Carnival Ecstasy in October.

The front door has a thing-a-ma-bob magnet that keeps the door open. So what I did was leave the front door open, then I opened the door to the closet (which is nearly the width of the hall) and then propped it open with a bottle of tonic water. It worked great to make me feel less closed in, and all anyone could see was my little Size 12 feet walking back and forth. (Of course, you can hear people walking in the hall, but I didn't mind 'cause I would close it when I was ready for the bed.)

(I also left the bathroom door propped open to make me feel like I had even more space.)

The only funny thing that happened was about 1 a.m. while I was watching TV, the security guard knocked to see whether everything was all right. "Just fine," I said, as I chomped down some midnight snack pizza.

Hope that helps,
Harry Martin
Old February 21st, 2002, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Hi Amanda. What a wonderful first cruise! Inside cabins are fine by me, especially with the busy itinerary you most likely have on that sailing. At first, the cabin will seem small to you, but humans are very adaptable, and after the first day the size will seem just right.

I really like Harry's idea of keeping the door open and closed at the same time. Once I had an inside cabin on a cross hallway with not too much traffic. Kept the door open during the day quite a bit. Having a drink before dinner, waiting for friends to drop by, etc.

Enjoy!
Old February 21st, 2002, 08:06 PM
Shar

Hi Amanda!

As Mike mentioned, using the TV can work like a window. If your ship has one of the real-time camcorders outside, you just keep your TV on the correct channel. It won't disturb you at night, because it's dark outside, but you'll know when it's day time and you'll have a great view. Have a wonderful cruise!

Shar