Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Passenger

Default lost luggage by airline

If our luggage does not arrive with us (due to the luggage not making a connection, for example), how does it eventually get to us? Does the airline make sure that it gets to the port the next day or is that the cruiseline's responsibility? Is there anything we should be aware of in advance? This is my biggest fear. (And yes, I know enough to take a carry on for that evening's clothing and clothes for the next day). Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2002, 07:10 AM
FrankM

Default Re: lost luggage by airline

JB,

If you purchase your air transportation through the cruise line with your cruise ticket, the cruise line will forward your luggage to the next port on your itinery if it doesn't arrive in time for your embarcation. You will find it in your cabin.

I usually purchase my airfare ticket throught the cruise line, even though it costs a bit more, for just such a reason. I have not had this problem, but other cruisers who had weather problems getting to the ship made the ship in time, but their luggage didn't. Their luggage met them at their next port. They were given a small amount of funds to purchase toiletries and casual clothes to tide them over until their luggage arrived. One couple was offered a free rental of formal ware from the ship to cover the formal dinning requirements until their luggage arrived.

When you arrange you flight through the cruise line you are given a colored cruise line luggage tag with your ship, airline and embarcation information on the tag so it is easily identified to forward to you.

I am not familiar with receiving your luggage if you arranged your own flight.

FrankM
Old February 25th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Arrange your own flight/ arrange yourself to get luggage, no help from cruise line, not their problem. It's really that simple.
Old February 25th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Vicki C

We had this happen to us on a Cruise to South America. We did not buy insurance but Princess was great about it. Delta sent our luggage to San Juan instead of Miami. The mixup was made in Atlanta.
Princess gave hubby a tux to wear for the week, gave Mother and I sparkly blouses and black skirts from their shop. Plus hubby bought a $9.00 pair of fruit of the looms from the shop. All in all they didn't have to do a thing since it wasn't their fault. They did arrange the air for us though. Got our luggage 2nd day of cruise, in the first port of call. Ist day was at sea.
We all had bathing suits, plus one change of casual clothes in our carryons. So it all worked out. But was sure scary for a while. Thought all those new clothes we had bought just for the cruise were gone.
Vicki
Old February 26th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

My luggage was lost last March. We arrived in San Juan airport to find that my 30" luggage never made it to the airport. IF this happens to you, make sure you check in at the airline's office in the terminal before leaving. They will ask you some questions and give you a document which you may need for further reference. My luggage never made it to the ship. I received it 45 days later. When we docked in San Juan, I called the 800 number at the insurance company and was advised that I could spend $500. for delayed luggage (if your luggage is delayed more than 24 hours). I saved all my receipts and was reimbursed for my purchases. I then submitted a form to the airlines and another one to the insurance copmany. I also sent a letter to Carnival corporate offices and the same to US Air corporate offices. After much paper work and a lot of angst, I received a buy one get one free offer from Carnival, which we are using for our March Victory trip. Just remember, if this happens to you, save all your paperwork, (copies of boarding passes for the airline, cruise boarding passes, and have your travel insurance brochure with you).