Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Ted Kalota

Default Agency Verification

I used Cruisemates bargin finder feature and have received serveral responses one of which I like. Not knowing this person or agency what is the best method to confirm they are not scam artists?

Ted...
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Agency Verification

Ted Kalota wrote:
>
> I used Cruisemates bargin finder feature and have received
> serveral responses one of which I like. Not knowing this
> person or agency what is the best method to confirm they are
> not scam artists?
>
> Ted...

Hi Ted,
By chance does this travel agent have a web-site and a phone number, thats a start. If you want to check further you can check with the better business bureau too. You may also want to check out this link and see if your travel agent is listed:

<http://www.astanet.com/index.asp>

Hope this travel agent and the cruise you found are what you were looking for and works out, good luck and happy cruising!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 28th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You could also ask for references on the message boards. Though, nothing guarantees those as accurate either.
Check to see if they are a member of CLIA as well.

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 28th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Robocop

Ted,
As the Bargain Finder is free and open to anyone we have no control over who responds and make no official recommendations. I do that many TA's I know and highly respect do answer these ads and are often the better deals. Like Donna and Kuki said, check to see if they have a website, a phone #, a member of the CLIA and in good standing, Check the BBB and ask around. Those to stay away from are the ones that ask you to get a price first and they will match or beat it, those that are hard to get in touch with over the phone, and those that charge fees for changes or cancellations outside of what the cruiselines charge. Also ask if they keep track of the current rates and if the rate falls will they get you the better rate. Good luck!
Jim
Old March 1st, 2002, 12:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to pbenjamin

I had an experience with the Bargain Finder that was very similar to Ted's. I got a smoker of an offer on a cruise from a particular travel agent. The TA was on the opposite end of the country and didn't give much background. I couldn't find any reference to the agency in BBB, CLIA or ASTA. Feeling a bit nervous about the idea, I called a local agency (AAA) and asked if they could match the price, which they did. Even though I felt a little bit guilty about it, it was not difficult to choose the local agency. I ended up saving $675 pp off the published rates. So, I found Bargain Finder useful but maybe not the way it was intended.
Old March 1st, 2002, 04:27 PM
PattyK

Ted,

I am a travel agent that responds to the Bargain Finders ads. Since many of the posters do not use their names, I don't know if I responded to you or not. However, any legitimate agent should not be offended if you asked for references, etc. Just shows good judgment. Hope this helps.

Patty