Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Best Insurance coverage

Can anyone tell me which insurance carrier offers the best/most complete coverage?
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2002, 02:45 PM
hamlet

Default Re: Best Insurance coverage

What a headache.

I don't know if I have an answer for you, but here's some info based on my past few days of researching this stuff.

If you need air to get to the ship, and do not buy air through the cruise line, be sure to get 3rd party insurance to cover flight and cruise. There are several companies that have been mentioned on these boards, CSA, TravelGuard, Access America, Travelex, etc.

For my purposes, prices are generally under $200 for 2 people, usually about $170 or so. Access America has 2 versions of their brochures, one would cost as low as $103. However, my main concern is my flight getting me to the ship on time. I have found that some companies (A.A.) only cover delay if it is weather related, which wasn't enough of a reason for me so I think I will spend more for a different plan. Travelex appears to be more generous in covering delays for various reasons. The coverage for delay varies usually $500pp, but CSA will cover $750pp.

Depending on what cruise line and what you know about their financial stability and how far off your cruise is, bankruptcy may or may not be an issue. CSA doesn't cover bankruptcy, others do.

Baggage delay/loss is about the same, but with any amount of coverage, I would still be livid about missing luggage so that's sort of a non issue for me to consider.

I think all the companies I mentioned will cover pre-existing medical conditions as long as you comply with certain conditions - for the most part, applying for coverage right after making deposit for the trip. Some companies have policies to cover pre-existing just for the travelers OR travelers and their family members.

Medical expense coverages range from $5000 (Travelex) up to $20,000 (A.A.).

I suggest choosing the company that best covers whatever you are most worried about. Good luck.
Old March 12th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mary,
Here are a few links, you can check them out and see what looks best for you. I've been using CSA for the last few cruises and had no problems, but I have not had to make a claim:

CSA:
<http://www.csatravelprotection.com/insure/default.ssc>
Travelguard:
<http://www.travelguard.com/>

Its always a good idea to take out travel insurance, you just never know when things can happen, good luck and happy cruising!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 13th, 2002, 05:43 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Best Insurance coverage

Is it better to buy travel insurance separately from the cruise line policy?
Old March 14th, 2002, 03:24 PM
sptrout

I agree with the other messages, but would add one comment. The insurance offered by some of the cruise lines (Celebrity & Princes that I know for sure) includes a 75% credit if you cancel at anytime for what otherwise would be an "uninsured" reason. This may or may not be good enough reason for you to pay the extra costs of cruise line provided insurance, but it is a good reason to considered them. It all depends on your particular situation. For me, this benefit is very important.
Old March 15th, 2002, 05:14 PM
cruiseco

Default Re: Re: Best Insurance coverage

The best place to compare the features and pricing of these and other plans is http://www.travelprotectioninfo.com

It gives great definitions of what the coverages include and, more importantly, what they don't include, what problems to watch out for, what questions to ask, etc.

By the time you go through the site you'll be able to read a plan's sales brochure or web site and have a good understanding of what you're looking at.
Old April 14th, 2002, 09:09 AM
cujochurch

I went with Traveguard. The main reason being that if you purchase within 7 days of putting down your deposit they waive the pre-existing condition clause. And this is something I needed to be covered for.