Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Captain

Default Passenger to space ratios?

As I understand it, there is a formula for calculating this ratio which is designed to inform as to the amount of guest-accessible space existing on a given ship. Generally, the higher the number, the less crowded the ship, and perhaps the more spacious the cabins. On some of your Ship Review pages, this ratio is given, and on some it is not, and I wish it were. That being the case, is there an on-line source where one can obtain this ratio for all ships in one place for easy comparisson? I've been able to obtain these ratio numbers for some of the ships we've been on, and from our experience they seem to be a valid predictor. We found a lot less lines and crowds on ships with a 68 ratio than on those with a 40, for example.

Another ratio I beleve is important is passenger to crew ratio as a predictor of service. While your Ship Review pages don't specifically give this, they do give guest capacity and crew number, so getting the ratio is a matter of simple division. But again, a comprehensive source for passenger to space ratio eludes me.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2002, 07:39 PM
TomS

Default Re: Passenger to space ratios?

To get the passanger/space ratio, divide the size of the ship, as measured by Gross Registered Tons, or GRT by the number of passangers. Both of these numbers should be readilly available. If you are comairing ships, make sure they used the same measure. You can use the double occupancy rate, or the total berths rate. Which one you use shouldn't matter much, just so ping as you are using the same measure.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Passenger to space ratios?

To TomS: Thanks for the information. I had assumed from what I had read about passenger to space ratio that it had something to do with square footage available to passengers. Since it involves gross tons, does this ratio have any validity in determining how crowded or uncrowded a ship may be?
Old March 26th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Passenger to space ratios?

In this case, the Gross Registered Tonnage is calulated on enclosed space within the ship (excluding crew quarters, engine room and other non-pax spaces). So, if a ship has an outdoor lido one year and decides to enclose it during drydock by putting a roof over it and surrounding it with walls, the GRT goes up not by the weight of the new structure, but by the amount of space enclosed.

On the other hand, a ship's stated capacity is usually based on double occupancy of all available cabins, notwithstanding the fact that some of those cabins can contain three or more passengers. Still, it's a good general way to figure out just how spacious a ship is.