Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2002, 07:04 PM
merki

Default FLIGHT CHANGES??????HELP

Hi! I have just received my cruise papers. A little worried on the time of arrival which is 3:19 in FT. Lauderdale. I'm thinking couldn't the cruise line put us on an earlier flight. Now I'm worried because the ship boarding closes at 4;30 so that leaves us with about 1 hr or so. Has anyone been in this situation. Does anyone know how much the fee is to change these airline tickets?
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2002, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: FLIGHT CHANGES??????HELP

Hi Merki,
I think its too late to do an air deviation, since the tickets are already done, but a good thing to look into on the next cruise. Sound like you did the cruise/air, in that case they will keep track of your flight and the ship will wait until you board. Most likely there will be others on the same flight or later flights like yours.

We had a simular situation when cruiseing into Ft. Lauderdale over New Years on Golden Princess. They were waiting for the last 3 flights to land, ours among them, got on the bus fairly fast and its only a 10 minute ride to the port. When entering the terminal in Ft. Lauderdale, we were literally the only ones in there, we also had express check-in, so everything was in order, took about 2 minutes and we were onboard. We still had 2 hours though yet til we sailed, but it was cutting it pretty close for me.

If at all possible, we try to fly in the day prior, sure saves the hassles of flying in and catching a ship :-) I'm sure you will make it just fine, have a great cruise!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 24th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

We have usually flown in on the day the ship departs (except for a few times when we have planned to visit relatives in Florida early). Have never had a problem catching the boat. We are sailing on the Paradise on May 12 and were scheduled to arrive in Miami around noon. Based upon all the "stuff" going on at the airports now (in March when we were going on the Ecstasy, LAX was shut down for various reasons 3 times in a week, including the day we were to get on the boat, but luckily we had gone to California a couple of days early), changed our flight to Miami to the night before. I have been willing to deal with possible weather and mechanical problems, but not the idiots out there.

From now on, when we fly to a cruise, it will always be the day before.

Barry
Old March 24th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Passenger

I would call the airline directly to see if an earlier flight is available. Maybe they can switch you to it or at let you know if you can stand-by for it. I have found the airlines very helpful if you explain you situation and ask for their advise, remember you catch more fly's with honey.
Old March 24th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Carole Dunham

First of all, it's a common misconseption that the cruiseline put you on that flight. The airline did. Cruiselines have contracts with airlines, in fact they are the largest contracts the airlines have. All the cruiseline cares about is that the airlione get you to your ship and back. This is why it's always a good idea to plan your own air and not use the cruiselines. It's best, of course, to fly in the day before your cruise, but if that's impossible, buy third party insurance to cover you from your front door and back. Cruiselines run cruises. I let other people handle everything else.

Carole
Old March 24th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Admiral

In general, there's a $75 fee to change an air booking. Per person. That's not the "air deviation fee" that you can get when you book a cruise which is more like $35.

I think it's time for a heart-to-heart with your TA about this.