Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Charlene Hempler

Default medical ????

Hi, I am hoping someone can answer some of my questions .... We have a group going on the Inspiration April 28. One of our group members just had foot surgery. He has diabetes and has to be on anti biotics for 4 to 8 wks. There is no problem taking the meds along and his daughter does it for him. But the problem is if the intravenus pick becaomes plugged, Is the Doctor on the ship capable of redoing a intravenus needle pick. ?? Also he will probably be in a wheel chair. Do you know if Carnival has wheel chairs, or should he just. bring his own with him. I am thinking it would be better to just bring his own for airports and hotel and ship. Looking for any suggestions. He has till this next week to find out if the doctors think he can even go on the cruise before they have to cancel. Thanks ahead of time for any help !! char
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: medical ????

Charlene,
Frankly, with a situation so important I wouldn't rely on anyone's reply on a message board. Your TA should contact Carnival directy and get the definitive answer to you ASAP.

Old March 24th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Charlene,
I would have the travel agent contact Carnival and see exactly what the doctors can do while on the ship, wouldn't take any chances with IV's. I'm sure the cruiseline can tell you what they are capable of dealing with. Of course his doctor will have to give his OK before hand. AS for the wheelchair, I'd say may as well take your own, the airlines can store it during the flight and you'd have it when you land and for the cruise. You can also get them through the cruiseline too, what ever is easier.

Hope you all make the cruise and have a great time!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 24th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Hello Charlene,

I would contact Carnival and ask for their "Special needs desk".
Sorry do not have a direct number but here is the fax# 1-800-532-9225, which you may need in case they want more information from the doctors and or documentation.

Old March 25th, 2002, 01:00 AM
Admiral

I would be very surprised if CCL doctors will do that procedure for you. BUT you need to talk to CCL directly on this.
Old March 25th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Charlene Hempler

Default Re: Re: medical ????

Hi, Thanks to all who responded. I am in contact with my TA right now. As soon as I find out I will post the answers. Thanks again....... Char
Old March 25th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Hi, Charlene ...

My first advice would be that your friend should cancel if there is any question at all.

Ships' docs are, are a rule, pretty good. But they are not the ER. And what can happen on a plane is something quite else.

Most cruiselines provide on-board wheelchairs, but they are not to be taken off the ship.

Also, having a lightweight wheelchair is a benison for the "pusher."

REAL LIFE STORY: A gentleman who had a double knee replacement did NOT bother to tell his TA about it. The surgery was a minor matter of weeks (II think it was 3) before an extremely long flight (Los Angeles to Auckland).

Many people do not understand what cabin pressurization is all about and how it can affect physical problems.

My husband and I were across the aisle from this gentleman. I woke up from snoozing and saw BLOOD all over his pants at the knee area. I went back to the crew area and said, "There is a guy bleeding out in in row 27." He was (blessedly) asleep and didn't know what was happening. But we were still seven hours out from landing and there are not a lot of airports between LAX and AUK.

(I am a former flight attendant, if that matters.)

We walked the aisles and asked lady passengers for pantyhose to wrap the poor guy's knees. The ladies who went back to the restrooms and stripped off their hose are heroines, in my opinion.

His yet-unhealed incisions had split becuse of cabin pressurization.

This is not something to be taken lightly.

And, as Kuki said, this is NOT something you should be asking on a message board.

Get to the source.

I hope the above will make everyone think twice.

Old March 25th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Carole Dunham

He will need his own wheelchair. Ships have them, but the supply is limited. I think you need to contat Carnival about the problem with his intravenous pick. Or have his travel agent do so.

Carole
Old March 25th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Charlene Hempler

Hi, Carnival is being very helpful. They recommend that we take our own wheel chair. That is what I thought too. Will need it in the airport and at the hotel and out for dinner too. If he still has the intravenous pick we have to fax the step by step instructions to them at Carnival and they will make sure the Doctor can take care of this if it is needed. So now we play the waiting game. Thanks to everyone for the response........ Char
Old March 28th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Charlene Hempler

Hi, I am so excited to tell you all that our medical problem is all better. He went to the hospital for the second procedure and all is well. The infection is all cleared up and the foot is healing very well. I do appreciate all the help you have all given us. Carnival was very helpful too. He won't even need crutches by the time we leave. It has made us all very happy. Thanks again to everyone for the help. Char
Old March 28th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Char,
Thats the best news yet. Now you can all go and really enjoy your cruise!

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 28th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Thats great! Have a great cruise Char.
Rick
Old March 29th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Admiral

SPLENDID !!! Have a wonderful time !!!