Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to TaraLee Send a message via MSN to TaraLee
Default Bringing Alchol on Board

I am going on a cruise on Carnival in 25 days. I was wondering if any of you brought your own alchol own board. Like in your carry ons or luggage?? I am planning to bring my own water and soft drinks. Just need some advice....... The alchol drinks are suppose to be expensive......
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2002, 02:03 PM
Charlene Hempler

Default Re: Bringing Alchol on Board

Hi, No need to take water. Just take a water bottle and use the tap water. it is purified and tastes fine. As far as the drinks on ship. They are no more then going to a nice restaurant and having a few cocktails. That is up to you. It says in the Welcome aboard booklet that comes with the doc's that no liquor is allowed to be brought on ship. But again that is up to you. Have a great cruise... What ship? We are on Inspiration April 28th.... Maybe we will see you! Char
Old April 3rd, 2002, 02:10 PM
gogetter

Hello,

On the Pride...2-9-02, i brought Baileys on in a cooler , and they opened it and never said anything, and let me through.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Tara Lee,
Some people do smuggle booze onboard in thier checked luggage. I really don't understand why as the cost of drinks are in the $3.50 to $6.50 range and not really as expensive as in most lounges/bars/hotels. I have never taken my own booze and cannot see any reason to start.
Jim

Old April 3rd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Tara Lee.....I think you will find that all lines allow you to bring wine aboard with you. We always take wine because the price aboard ship is ridicuously high for wine. For ex..Berringer White ZinWine is about 24 dollars a bottle aboard ship......we buy it for around 5 dollars for same bottle. Plus, as I said, you are allowed to bring wine.
Rick
Old April 4th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Joe Reynolds

Default Re: Re: Bringing Alchol on Board

When you bring wine on board, it is customery for the stewert to charge a corkage fee of about $5.
I have seen a friend have his vodka taken from him in his carry on and retruned to him at the end of the cruise. This was on Carnival.
It is nice to have liquor in the room. Many ships have a liquor store, and it is sometimes cheaper to buy it there.
Joe
Old April 7th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Passenger

Being from Canada, our dollar is only worth half of the US. Buying a drink for $6.50, actually costs us approx. $10.00. Too steep for me. Going through the border we stopped at the duty free shop and bought a bottle each for taking home, however it was in our luggage when we boarded the ship and it was confiscated, and returned the last night of our cruise. I did however pack mini bottles in a toilet bag, and had a drink in my cabin each evening, which helped cut down the final bill.
Old April 8th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

How often are bags checked to find alcohol? I can't imagine them going through evey bag to find alcohol, am I wrong?

We are going on Carnival and I did see the No Alcohol message, but was curious as to the above questions. I am not going to bring any, but was wondering what the big deal is?

I understand bringing something for a pre dinner drink in your room, I am also Canadian and it is sooo expensive with the exchange rate for us.
Old April 8th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Bringing Alchol on Board

I have never heard of CCL or any other line actually going through ones checked baggage searching for booze. I just don't believe that is happening. Now if it is in your carry-on and they notice it, yes they are quite within their rights to enforce the policy and hold it until the last day. As for the expense being more for Canadians, it is the exchange rate and not the cost of drinks that are to blame.
Jim

Old April 8th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

Re the exchange rate.
We realize itis the exchange rate not the drinks alone, but the exchange rate does make a difference with all the different add expenses when we change it to US and pay our final bills. When 100.00 US for citizens = 62.00 in Canadian $, $10.00 per drink on a 10 day cruise with only one adds up. Certainly not discreditting the Cruise Lines just making the point that it does get to be expensive.....
Thanks for your respones, I was wondering and have now had my questions answered.