Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2002, 03:20 PM
RickiLynn

Default Any Tips for Virgin cruisers...

My Husband and I will be taking our 1st cruise in May to Alaska. We have been reading this message board every night for the last two weeks and have gotten some wonderful tips...everything from Luggage security to optional methods of pay on sign and sail cards. Just wondering if there is anything special about the Alaska cruise we should know. We are sailing on the Ryndam through Holland America; coming from San Diego.
We really want to do a fishing excursion and I'd die a happy woman if I could see a Grizzly Bear...so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Only 40 days to go and I can't WAIT!!!
Thanks RickiLynn
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Any Tips for Virgin cruisers...

If you miss the grizzly in Alaska , they have several at the Bronx Zoo.
Seriously, you are doing everything right. Read your documents, read about your destinations. Do a little planning (but remain flexible). Unpack about half of that stuff you packed or are thinking about packing. Most of all relax and enjoy your cruise.
Don't let small stuff bother you and remember that there are a couple of hundred crew on the ship who get paid to make your vacation a good one. If anything is wrong, speak up (nicely) and it will be addresed if at all reasonable.
I hope you enjoy your first cruise as much as we enjoyed ours. (Number 10 in May and
11 in October with plans well under way for 12).
Old April 5th, 2002, 06:45 PM
RickiLynn

Thanks...my husband says I worry to much...but once your out the door from home, your out of luck! :P
Old April 5th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Rickilynn,
I too will be taking my first Alaska cruise this year, can't wait! I found a lot of helpful tips reading through the 2002 Alaska planning guide:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...aska/index.cfm

I have heard a lot about dressing in layers when going out on excersions in Alaska, makes sense. Hope you have good weather and see that grizzly bear, I will be thrilled to see some whales :-)

Have Fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 5th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Can't help on the bear thing .... but would it not be great ???

Go and enjoy and if we can help with specifics, just ask !!!

Old April 6th, 2002, 12:52 AM
Carole Dunham

If you see bears, it will be brown bears. Grizzlies can only be seen on Kodiak Island and they are rare. I don't know about HAL, but Celebrity has a shore exrusion to see bears. I imagine HAL will too. Have a great time. My daughter and I are going on our 8th Alaska cruise with Celebrity this summer. Take binoculars, a good camera with a closeup lens and lots more film than you ever thought you'd need.

Carole
Old April 6th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Bill came up with a winner. Unpack about half of the stuff you have packed. The cabins are really small and you will be able to get by with a lot less than you think.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 6th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Brad Krewson-Cleveland,OH

You will love your cruise. Their will be land on eather side of the ship most of the time.

We went their in April/May. No winter coat is needed. Just sweat shirts and a fall type coat. If you have any hooded coats it would be nice to take them. Sometimes their is a fine mist rain. Try to take at least one binocular for each person. So you can watch for bears along the inside passage as yor travel. Keep an eye open for goats in the hills also. It is the best cruise for nature, it is all around you. It is very very relaxing. We went on HAL Zaandam in 2000. Eagles are like seaguls all over . Look for white tennis balls in the trees, they are the eagles. Also your camera and binoculars will fog up when you first go outside so be careful. We also went whale watching and it was great. Saw a Mom and here baby close-up. Try HAL pea soup on deck when you are glacer bay. They serve it by the ouside pool area. (If you like pea soup?) When you sit on the outside deck chairs they will bring you big red blankets to use. They will also have someone on the ship from Glacer Bay National Park during your glacer tour.

I hope I have helped you some.

Have a GREAT Time Rickilynn. I wish I was going with you !!!!!

Brad

P.S. Have you gotten the book from HAL about the thinks you can during your trip. Their should be a fishing trip listed in their book, also try their website www.hollandamerica.com .
Old April 7th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Admiral

I was told that the way to identify an eagle is that it looks like a beer bottle with a golf ball on top.
Old April 9th, 2002, 10:10 PM
viv

Capt. Larry has a half day fishing trip out of ketchcan for 145.00, they will prep & pack your fish and mail it to your home. They also have a float plane trip to see bears.
viv