Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2002, 11:44 PM
First Mate

Default Cruise To NoWhere? Advice Needed

We are planning to do the 2 day Cruise To Nowhere out of NYC on June 22, 2002 on the Carnival Triumph. I think it will be a fun way to celebrate our daughter's HS graduation and mine and my other daughter's birthdays. We will be a family of five if my 20 year old son joins us.

I posted this on the Carnival message board and got no response so I thought I would give it a shot here.

Has anyone ever done a cruise to nowhere? Is it a chaotic fiasco for the time spent on the ship? Do they do a formal night? If they do it will be a great chance to get some family portraits done.

Since my husband has raised my children but is not their biological father- do I need a letter from my ex giving his permission to take my one minor child? Would this cruise be considered leaving US waters and need this permission from him?

We are local to NYC and think this might be a fun weekend to celebrate- party with our kids <g>- and just do something different as a family.

Any advice you can give me about this type of cruise, the Triumph - pros and cons, etc. would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading this!

deja
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2002, 10:58 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Cruise To NoWhere? Advice Needed

Expect a party crowd for this type of sailing and also being Carnival it attracts its share of heavy drinkers. (sorry i cant stand drunks on my hard earned vacation) As long as you understand that this type of cruise does appeal to a "party people" and you are comfortable with that atmosphere you should be fine.
Old April 16th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Carole Dunham

It will be total chaos, cruises to nowhere always are. I honestly don't remember formal nights, but one cruise to nowhere was enough for me. I haven't sailed Triumph but have sailed her sister Victory and enjoyed the ship very much. However, it was in late September and there were no children or even young people on board for that matter. I would check with Carnival about the letter of permission. It never hurts to have it. I traveled with my grandson on a week's cruise and even though I had the permission letter, no one ever asked for it.

Carole
Old April 16th, 2002, 01:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Cruise To NoWhere? Advice Needed

Hrrm-

Thank you both for the feedback. It's certainly something to consider. I figured that with that many people there would be no way there wouldn't be some degree of chaos on a cruise that short.

I know my kids (mid-late teens, 20 year old) would love that atmosphere (lol!).

We are pretty laid back and can endure almost anything for a couple of days.

It's local, it's inexpensive and a seemingly fun way to celebrate some milestones...

(mentally weighing the pros and cons- lol)

I'll talk to my TA and see what she can come up with as far as cabins, pricing etc....

thanks again!
deja
Old April 16th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise To NoWhere? Advice Needed

"Cruise to Nowhere"......That name is a turn off to me. I want to go "Somewhere"!

Old April 17th, 2002, 01:35 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cruise To NoWhere? Advice Needed

I want to go *somewhere* too! But- this is local- a quick weekend getaway and a chance to get my family all in one place at one time.

Just think of all the gripes I can post after this one! <evil grin> lol
deja
Old April 19th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Although I have never cruised to nowhere, or for that matter, not taken that many cruises to somewhere, I would do it in a second. Especially for the circumstances you have described. Great way to check out another ship, IMO. Obviously it would not be a relaxing week long cruise, but sort of like a weekend out on the town!

I cruised on the Destiny, Triumph's sister in '99 and loved it.