Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default How to get balcony cabin; all already booked!!!

I'm booked on the Dawn Princess for 8/5/02 southbound Gulf of Alaska in an inside, category JJ, cabin. We are two parties of 3 each. I would love to be in a category AC, outside balcony cabin which can accommodate 3-4, but they're all sold out. I'd wait and book for next summer, but my mother wants to go now, and she doesn't care about being inside. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can possible wangle a balcony cabin out of Princess? How do I find out about cancellations? My TA is a faceless entity from a large-name internet site---we got great prices, but the service is indifferent, at best. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: How to get balcony cabin; all already booked!!!

Hi Shelly,

If your internet TA is not willing call Princess direct. But try your TA first. Ask to be put on a waitlist for the Cat AC. Be forceful with your TA if necessary, remember most internet TA's are order takers. Not all but most. Have all your information in front of you, booking number etc. One other item is, if your willing, put the money up front for the difference between your booked cabin and the category you wish. This will move you up towards the top of the waitlist, but don't mention that to Princess. It is a small secret they like to keep to themselves.

Then just sit back and hope for a cancellation from a Cat AC holder. It might even come as close as the pier as you check in. Good Luck!

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Shelley,

P.S.
Let us all know the out come if you got that AC category.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Admiral

I'd ask them to wait list you for all categories of the mini suites... and for the standard veranda cabins as well. I have always said that when purchasing a cruise, which is not a commodity the way an airline seat is, the important word is "value", not price... although they are not mutually exclusive... and that an important component of "value" is "service". Any t/a worth his or her salt would take this problem in hand and push hard for you.
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Ricki

Shelley,
My husband and I booked our Alaskian cruise last October after attending a "Show" put on by AAA. We were told two days later, at our scheduled appointment with the TA, that all of the Veranda suites were sold out. But that she could waitlist us for the room and hope that something opened up. We leave on the 14th and last month she called and gave us the good news...we got the Veranda.
My point, to make a short statement long, is a good TA is worth their weight in gold. She knew how important having that cabin was to us and she called every couple of days to make sure we'd get it, if it became available. A good deal can be measured in more ways than one.
Have A Great time and make sure to post your comments when you get back.
Ricki
Old May 8th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Carole Dunham

When final payment is due, many cabins manage to open up. People don't always have the money they thought they'd have. I agree with everyone above, but yu might have to wait until final payment is due before you actually get upgraded. Good Luck!!

Carole
(who is sailing in August on the Summit in Alaska in a balcony cabin,yippee!)
Old May 8th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Admiral

One other thing you can do is go to a site like uniglobe. From there, you can see instant availability. For example for your itin, only outside available is Cat F (cabins d328, d602, d603, 604, d605, and d606). Inside is available in II, I JJ, J, K, L, M, N.

There is a waitlist for all other categories except BF. If someone cancels, they will take next name off waitlist. Like has been mentioned before, I would get on every waitlist I could.

If there was not a waitlist for a cat, you would need to check often to see if a cabin opened up by cancellation and be ready to snatch it up. The waitlist removes this strategy.

marc
Old May 8th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

THANK YOU !!! to everyone that contributed to above responses. I'm calling customer service of the TA's agency and get on the waitlist, put down more money, whatever it takes . . . I may make it to Alaska only once and I'd rather spend the extra $1000 on a balcony than shore excursions, at this point, after reading how important having a balcony was to so many Alaskan cruisers.

Shelley
Old May 8th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Oh, golly ...

For an Alaska cruise I'd far rather have the time on shore than on a chilly balcony.

Read what you said, Shelly ... if you will only go to Alaska once, do you want to spend all your time on a balcony ???

Your choice, for sure. Do you really want to spend the day on a blacony rather than seeing the beauty of Alaska ??? I think your $1000 could be far better spent. But that's me.

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: How to get balcony cabin; all already booked!!!

Pamda, thanks for the advice, but I forgot to mention that my mobility is moderately limited, so I am unable to participate in most of the shore excursions anyway---I'm going to Alaska for the scenery I can view with minimal difficulty---from all I've read, a balcony is absolutely the way for me to best experience Alaska (with a good pair of binoculars!)

Shelley
Old May 10th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Marc... one thing... these sites, including my own, do NOT display all the available cabins... just the computers idea of the 6 or 9 best. No allowance is made for those cabins on hold, without deposit (hence removed from displayed inventory), or those allocated to t/a groups which may or may not convert from closed inventory into booked cabins, and so forth. It is not simple... far far from it. The client's t/a is probably better positioned to help in this than all the sites put together... and then some.