Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2002, 11:42 PM
Annita

Default Best Cruise Choice for 18 year old's Graduation present?

I need help! Accck! My niece who will be graduating next year is wanting to take a cruise as her graduation present. I am 32 and she will be 18. We are having the worst time trying to figure out which cruise line and destination would best suite us. We thought we had decided to do a Hawaiian cruise on Celebrity's Summit. However, we then began reading that the age group going on that cruise is mostly for the large part 50+. I'm not really going to hook up with people my age and party etc. However, since it will be just me & her going she would love to be able to meet people her own age. Is that going to be really difficult cruising to Hawaii on a Celebrity ship?

Would we be better off maybe doing a Caribbean cruise on one of the large Royal Caribbean ships like Explorer of the Seas? Would there be more people our ages on that cruise? As far as locations goes we were much more into going to Hawaii than the Caribbean. We just don't want to feel incredibly out of place if there aren't people our ages on the cruise to Hawaii. We wouldn't be totally dissappointed in going to the Caribbean instead. She is just really worried that there won't be people her age on the Celebrity ship. From what we've read RCL has somewhat younger cruisers on it's larger ships.

Any advice or suggestions would be truly appreciated! We are having a really tough time with this. This would be our first cruise and we want to make the right choice.

Thanks,
Annita
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Miss Kitta

Default Re: Best Cruise Choice for 18 year old's Graduation present?

I am taking some teenagers on the Carnival Pride this summer for their graduation trip. When we researched things it seemed like Carnival Cruise lines had a younger crowd. We took a Carnival cruise a few years ago and there were many teenagers on board.
MissKitta
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Anita,

First, the cruise ship will have 2000 people aboard so there will be people in your and your niece's age group. The percentage may be higher on other ships/itineraries but if Hawaii is your choice don't sweat the age demographics of this cruise.

Second, younger people tend to take the shorter cruises because, on the whole, they are less expensive and more money is available out of the budget to spend on tourist stuff. Seasoned cruisers have usually been to the ports and done the tourist trips and will generally take the longer cruises.

Third, regardless of your itinerary you WILL have a great time. Cruising is a vacation like few others. You can pamper yourself all day long and dance all night long and never have to drive anywhere. There are so many options on a cruise. You will always find other people who share the same interests.

Fourth, the only bad part about cruising is the wait after you've booked it. So book it now and get the waiting part underway.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 9th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Carole Dunham

Thomas is correct. On these huge ships you will always find people of all ages, but sdhorter cruises - on Celebrity too - will attract a younger crowd. You didn't say where you were from. If you're located closer to the West Coast you may want to consider a Mexican Riviera or Alaska cruise, both of which are a week long. The Mexican Riviera cruise will have a slightly younger crowd than the Alaska cruise, although I would find the latter much more interesting.

Carole
Old May 9th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you chose a cruise over 7 days, the average age of the passenger rises significantly.
7 days or under, and on most cruise lines you'll find a cross section of passengers.

So.. Celebrity Hawaii cruises which are all 10 or 11 days isn't likely to be what you're looking for.
If you really want to do Hawaii, take a look at NCL Star, which does 7 day trips.

The RCI Voyager Class ships, when school's out, will certainly have ALL ages of people onboard.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:44 PM
glen

Hi,
Have you thought about Windjammer Cruises? I've heard that they are fun, relaxed, and most of their clientel is under 40.
Glen
Old May 9th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Admiral

I like Glen's idea.
Old May 9th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Passenger

Carnival Elation or Star Princess out of LA would make a great cruise if you are on the West Coast. East coast has lots of ships to choice from. Carnival for the serious party crowd and RCI for a fun cruise that is more refined.(personally for my teen i would sail on RCI....( I am just not a big drinker like many are who travel on Carnival and i Don't want my teen drinking)(even though the age is 21)
Old May 9th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Fred wrote " I am just not a big drinker like many are who travel on Carnival".

Fred, sorry to say.. but what a bunch of bunk!!!

I've cruised Carnival half a dozen times or more... I rarely drink, other than the odd BBCs on a hot day. Don't drink at all when I'm not cruising.

I've seen people drinking on all cruise lines, but we've personally not encountered any greater number of intoxicated people on Carnival than any of our other cruises. The drunkest group I ever saw happened to be on RCI, but even though I experienced it, I wouldn't think of posting that all the drunks are on RCI.

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Admiral

The most obnoxious drunks (two 20-something women) were on Celebrtiy. Go figure.
Old May 10th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Best Cruise Choice for 18 year old's Graduation pres

The most obnoxious drunk I ever encountered was on Princess, he was staring back at me when I was looking in the mirror.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 10th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Passenger

I'm taking my daughter on the Imagination on 5/27 for a graduation present. I researched everything and this is what I thought SHE would like best. From what I've read, Carnival offers the best ship for the younger crowd. Personally I would have choosen another line--we'll see.
Old May 16th, 2002, 12:23 PM
mlbcruiser

Please post your comments when you return from this cruise. Esp. the opinion your daughter has. We have taken our's on 6 cruises; most w/RCI, but the latest was Carnival. Can't say there was that much difference as far as teen activities were concerned. Next yr. is senior year, though, & since we won't give in to one of the big spring break beach trips, she & her friends are somewhat reluctant to go on another cruise. I tend to like RCI the best, but ???