Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Beginner

Default Do I cruise in early November or early January

first time cruise with family of four - we are deciding whether to go in early November or January to the Western Carribean.
Apparently in early November there is the chance of hurricanes, but in early January i'm a bit concerned that the weather will be cool for swimming.
Any thought on this?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2002, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Do I cruise in early November or early January

Hi Dannyh,
We cruised this past Jan. and the weather was fine for swimming, except for the one last day. At least in Jan. it the end of hurricane season, so either one would be fine, and Nov. is the end of the storm season.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 21st, 2002, 08:24 AM
Yeoman

We cruised the Bahamas (all 100 sq miles) this past January. People swam, snorkeled, got burnt, all the usual. Thousands of kids who should have been in school were aboard.
Old May 21st, 2002, 10:53 PM
Carole Dunham

The weather in the Caribbean in January is usually wondeerful. It's almost as hot as it is in summer, but the humidity is way down and the wonderful Caribbean breezes are blowing ever so nicely. January would be my pick. Whichever month you choose, have a great cruise.

Carole
Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admiral

We have cruised a number of times to the Caribbean in November and have only experienced a shower or two. However a serious hurricane "settled" in the Caribbean between Aruba and San Juan, forcing folks to disembark in Aruba. This was after 11/11 a few years ago, so it was fairly late in the month. Check the itineraries. The further South in the Caribbean the warmer the weather. Winter in the Bahamas is "off season" so you may wish to steer away from the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We were there the last week in February and it definetly was not beach weather however many folks were in the pools and on the sand in swim suits. We have been at Princess Cays this same time and it was absolutely heavenly!
Bon Voyage
Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Do I cruise in early November or early January

We have sailed mid November every year for the past 4 years - Eastern & Western. Never had bad weather, not too many kids on board.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:25 PM
Admiral

I've cruised early November with no problem ... last year October 21-31, and no problem. In both cases, not many children aboard.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 25th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default January

Early January is prime season for picking up bargains. Post-holidays is one of the slowest times of the year.

Old May 26th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Passenger

Default Re: January

Have cruised the Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas, and other nearby islands I can't specifically recall) in early January (New Years cruise) and the weather was fabulous. My parents did Southern Caribbean this past mid January and they got a great price and had excellent weather. I can't speak specifically to November but I would recommend staying away from hurricane season. 2 (maybe 3) years ago my parents sailed in late October and had horribly rainy weather. Mom came back sick and barely had time to recouperate before her long flight to Australia a few weeks later. The bad weather couldn't stop them from having a great time with their friends on the cruise but flying with a bad head cold can and did make her more than miserable.

If you have a choice I think you can't really go wrong with January.
Old June 1st, 2002, 10:54 AM
Shan Rose

Hello,

I have sailed both Nov. and Jan. and their both good months even in Jan. the weather is warm especially if your going to the Carib.