Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Default Post-cruise sickness, feeling "shippy"

Hey all. I just got back from my cruise on Monday, the wonderful M/S Celebration and I cannot shake this dizziness! Any sudden movements and I feel like I am swaying with the ship again. I feel this constant pressure in my head and any sudden movements and I start to get dizzy. Can anyone give me some tips on how to shake this thing?
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Post-cruise sickness, feeling "shippy"

Golly we were just talking about this on another message stream.

I always end up taking Bonine for a couple days after (and many times when we hit land on excursions). That usually does it for me.

However, if it's really bad, a doctor can give some medicine (the name of which escapes me).

The whole thing is related to the inner ear being off kilter

Harry
Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:22 AM
Yeoman

It's called "sea legs". You will feel the same thing after driving for eighteen hours straight in a pick up. A month at sea on a destroyer will leave you bouncing off the walls. You paid a lot of money to feel that way, savor it.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
First Mate

If it persists, I would suggest seeing a doctor...I ended up with a very bad ear infection when I returned.......although may have been from my own fault, scuba diving in Cozumel with a cold, but if given the chance, I would have done the same thing again!! Wouldn't want to miss those beautiful blue waters!
Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Carole Dunham

It will go away by itself in a few days and it's absolutely normal.

Carole
Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Post-cruise sickness, feeling "shippy"

We spent 10 days on a sail boat in BVI last year and I was never sea sick on the boat but got very ill everytime I was on land. I finally started taking motion sickness stuff (perscription patch) and that helped. Once I got home, I only felt sick for another 24 hours or so, so you should be feeling well again shortly.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I have never had that sensation after a cruise - not even after the 14 days we spent on the Triumph. Is this something that those who are more prone to motion sickness experience - or am I just weird?

Jodi <---probably just weird...

Old May 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Yeoman

No...you are the normal one. Big ships in the Caribbean or Bahamas don't pick up enough sustained motion for your equilibrium to adjust to. Besides, the newer ships put a lot of effort into stabilizing the ride, something I've never understood since that's the only sensation you have that you are underway. If you don't like it, why not join club med? Getting sick on a large ship in good weather is mostly in the mind, in my opinion. My wife has to sit facing forward in the dining room, even though we have to ask several waiters to find one who knows which direction is which.

A body at rest tend to remain at rest. A body in motion tends to remain in motion. I seem to remember that from somewhere.

Try 45 days at sea on a ship that really moves. Then you will have sea legs.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old May 24th, 2002, 08:56 PM
lovecruis'n

Default Re: Re: Post-cruise sickness, feeling "shippy"

Don,

I, too, had this problem after my very first and only cruise on RCCL in 1982. I came home and went to bed for a day or two. I'm cruising again in June on HAL, and this time plan on using the motion sickness patch, hoping it will help.

By the way, an object tendancy to stay at rest or in motion is Sir Isaac Newton's Law of Inertia.

Jan
Old May 25th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Yeoman

You can get the same feeling from a pitcher full of stingers. No one uses a patch for that.