Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2002, 10:34 AM
JEFF HARRIS

Default AVOIDING CRUISE LINE SHORE EXCURSIONS IN EUROP

We are cruising to Europe later this month and would like to avoid booking shore excursions through the cruise line. Are their options for the following ports: Le Harve to Paris, Cork Ireland, Dublin Ireland, Greencock(Glasgow) Scotland, Geiranger Norway, Olden Norway, Bergen Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Brussels Belgium.

Here are sights that we would like to visit:

Cork - Blarney Castle and Village
Dublin - Dublin Castle and Book of Kells
Greencock(Glasgow) - Edinburg, Landscape Wool & Whiskey
Geiranger - Geiranger Fjord
Olden - Briksdal Glacier
Bergen - Hiking Mt. Floien
Copenhagen - Walking Tour
Brussels - Tour of City
LeHarve - Need round trip transportation to Paris - Paris - Eiffel Tower, Louvre Etc.
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: AVOIDING CRUISE LINE SHORE EXCURSIONS IN EUROP

In Copenhagen take a tour of Tivoli Gardens if available and a tour of the changing of the guards at the Queen's Palace.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 5th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Admiral

you might check with www.protpromotions.com
Jim

Old June 5th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Sounds like a great itinerary. Copenhagen is certainly a do-it-yourself. We did it, and loved it.

Old June 5th, 2002, 03:25 PM
JEFF HARRIS

Default Re: Re: AVOIDING CRUISE LINE SHORE EXCURSIONS IN EUROP

what does this have to do with my question??
Old June 5th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Hi, Jeff ...

I'm not too sure who you're talking to, but I think the answers have been OK.

The smartest thing to do is get your hands on good guide books (I recommend Lonely Planet) and start mapping out your plans. Use the cruiseline's shoreX offerings as a guide. Also, ferret the Internet like mad.

You have to remember that striking out on your own (freelancing-- with or without a hired tour guide or car) adds the risk that your car might break down and you might not get back to the ship for sailing. Then you're on your own.

Please keep in mind that those who answer questions here do so from our own experiences which probably didn't take place yesterday.

The best way to answer your questions, truly, is to do your own research. There are a wealth of tools both in print and on the Internet.

Me, I don't like to rely on information that's more than a month or two old without double-checking -- which I do either by phone or on the Internet.

Let us know if we can help more. Everyone's dreams and expectations are different. It's up to you to organize your perfect trip.

Old June 7th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: AVOIDING CRUISE LINE SHORE EXCURSIONS IN EUROP

Some Port Calls, where the port is in the city you wish to visit... ie Copenhagen or Oslo... doing it on your own is fine. However, going on your own... or with a private driver, from LeHarve to Paris, as an example... which is a bit of a haul, can get dicey... particulary if you hit traffic getting out of Paris and enroute back to LeHarve or you have a flat or some other mishap. If you're with the ship's tour, the ship will wait for you... if you are on your own, C'est La Vie. Your t/a should be able to give you some good advice in this area.
Old June 7th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Default P.S.

The other determining factor is your own comfort level traveling on your own in Europe... your past experience(s) touring on your own.