Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Oahu to Papeete Tahiti

Dear Cruisemates,
Just got a flyer from Princess with some great deals on the Dawn Princess for 2 October 2002 cruises between Oahu and Tahiti. Has anyone done this one? We have been to Hawaii but Christmas Island, Bora Bora, Moorea and Papeete sound intrigueing. The only concern is the brutal flight to/from the East coast. Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Bop
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Oahu to Papeete Tahiti

BoraBora is heaven on earth. Most beautiful island I've ever seen. I'd go just to get back there. Tahiti is disappointing. Bit and commercial, but it's beautiful when you get out of Papeete. I too have sailed Ocean Princess and she's a wonderful ship. Not too big, easy to get around in and very friendly crew. Unfortunately I won't be cruising for the next couple of years (major surgery, no insurance), but let us know if you go and how you enjoyed it so we can all drool.

Carole
Old June 7th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Suzie

Hi Bop,
My sister and I did this cruise 2 yrs. ago on the Regal Princess. It was 12 days and we did a post-cruise in Oahu for 3 days.
This was possibly the BEST cruise I have ever taken. We did all the Hawaiian Islands and then Christmas Island ( this Island was a hoot but the children and natives were so friendly and we brought candy and toys so they thought we were Santa Claus!)
Just enough sea days and then The Most Beautiful Islands I have ever seen- Moorea and Bora Bora. When you wake up in the morning and look out from your balcony ( you MUST book a balcony cabin) you might have teary eyes- takes the breath away.
Tahiti was fun for us - we explored on our own and my sister had a looney moment and got a tattoo.
I want very much to go back. The flight didn't bother us too much coming home- slept most of the time. I am from Va. so it was lo-o-o-ng.
I have beautiful memories from this cruise. The Dawn is larger than the Regal and I think you should book! Now! ;>)

Suzie, who wishes she could hide in your suitcase
Old June 7th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Mike, Carole, and Suzie,
I will definitely heed your advice. What could be more inviting than a South Pacific Island? I am going to check with a Los Angeles TA contact of mine to see if I can get a good deal on a balcony. The Dawn was our first Princess ship and remains a favorite. We much prefer the Sun-class ships to the Grand and love the Royal. Can't say we cared too much for the "piano busses" (Crown and Regal) and I was glad to see the Dawn in Hawaii and the Star on the Australia/NZ routes in 2003 and 2004. I wonder what happened to the R3 and R4 lease by Princess?
Carole, what a bummer! I am distressed to hear of your health problems and wish you a swift recovery in health and finances.
Suzie, we are from VA too and if I can get my wife distracted, I will bring my largest suitcase with an airhole! !
Take care and I will update as plans progress (or not). I can almost feel the warm breezes of the South Pacific.

Aloha,
Bop
Old June 7th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Admiral

The flight IS brutal, but the rewards are worth it.

Old June 8th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Oahu to Papeete Tahiti

Bop,
Tahiti is a true paraside and IMHO the most beautiful and unspoilt area on earth. We really loved these islands and plan on going back. As for the R3 & 4, Princess IS apparently going through with their plans and I have heard through the grapevine that interviews have been taking place for French Officers to man the ships, something to do with France's requirements or something I guess. I have to believe that in a year these ships will be up and cruising this area and fully plan on taking advantage of them.
Jim

Old June 8th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Oahu to Papeete Tahiti

Hu Jim,
Let's see now, if Princess has R3 and R4 and keeps the old Renaissance itineraries in the Pacific and adds the Star to the Pacific Basin in 2003 and 2004 (Per Cruise Critic Newsletter), Princess will probably be able to spin off the Regal following her sister ship, the Crown and have much better ships and itineraries than they do now. My wife and I were contemplating an Australia/NZ cruise for our 40th anniversary in 2003 but were avioding the Regal. HAL's "new" Prinsendam seemed the better choice but pretty pricey for us. Now it looks like we may have some more choices. =:o)

Bop