Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Laundry/Dry Cleaning on board

We're leaving for the Sea Princes in 8 days!!! We've decided to bring as LITTLE luggage as possible (hopefully just 3 pieces). I know we can do our own laundry on board, which we plan on (jeans, undies, socks, etc) but we were wondering if anyone knows approximately how much it costs to have the ship launder or dry clean shirts and pants. Also, has anyone used the tux rental service? We are thinking of that too. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Laundry/Dry Cleaning on board

Thanks Mike!
Just got off the phone with cruiselineformal....too easy! Yes, we both own tuxes, but wanted to save space for other stuff. Looks like we might meet the 3 suitcase limit!!
Old June 27th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Hi, Rick ...

A quick trip to your local Tar-Jay or Walmart will yield socks and undies for LESS than you will pay to have them laundered aboard or waste the time doing it when you could be having fun.

Ships' self-service laundries are usually populated with cranky people who have nothing better to do.

Undies and socks can be crammed almost anywhere in a suitcase (who notices the wrinkles?)

Somebody recently posted a "laundry list" ... I don't even think about it. I just use 'em.

I think Mike's numbers are high for laundry. But I don't have anything to back that up.

One hint: Lose the jeans. They are too hot in tropical climates and provide no insulation at all in places like Alaska. They also take up about the same space as three pairs of khakis.

Mike is right on for the tux rental $$$. I know people who own their own but rent because they don't like to pack them. My husband would NEVER wear anyone else's shoes, but that's a personal choice.

Don't forget the "air and wear" rule. Hang it (whatever it is) up when you're done wearing it, give it a rest, then wear it again.

The shirt that you wear on casual nights can be recycled for the next day ashore. Unless you sweat it out at the craps table.

Have a wonderful cruise and come back to tell us all about it !!!

Old June 27th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Laundry/Dry Cleaning on board

Pam... I think you are right... the rates quoted for valet laundry are about double the norm that I've seen. I cannot imagine going on a cruise and doing laundry... spending several thousand dollars for a week or so at sea and spending time in the laundry? I can do that at home. As for the rental tuxedo... well... the fact that it's rented won't be a secret to many. If one cruises regularly, I can't think of not wearing my own tux... and my own shoes! I suppose if it is a one time... or rare event... it can work... but, it only takes two or three rentals to equal the cost of buying one. Also... I think the "space saving factor" is far outweighed by the... shall we say... less than perfect fit and shinny countenance of a rented tuxedo.

Post Edited (06-28-02 07:46)
Old June 28th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Admiral

I guess I need to clarify what I mean by "doing laundry" on the ship. I only mean to do it ONE time, so that we don't have to bring so much stuff! Last year in the Caribbean, we ended up with about 7 pieces of luggage including dive bags, etc.... I don't want to have to schlep any more than 3 pieces this time to Alaska. Knowing that things like sweaters, sweatshirts and coats take up some room, we decided to leave our own tuxedos at home and rent this time. If they turn out looking crappy, then we've learned a lesson. $7.50 to clean 3 items does not seem very expensive to me, so we'll be utilizing the service for dress pants and shirts. It's all about "freedom from luggage"! Air travel is too much of a hassle anyway to complicate it with more things to worry about. I'm leaving exactly a week from today and am so looking forward to this trip of a lifetime. By the way, I'll let you know how those tuxes turn out!