Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Benedetta

Default Transferring Res to Another TA

I have an existing reservation through AAA for a cruise with the Grand Princess sailing 10/13/02. I booked it with them before getting on the boards and not realizing there are better rates to be had. Since then, I have found a couple of highly touted agencies who have given me rates that are only $40pp higher from my present rate. This would take me from an EE (outside cabin) to a BC or BA with a balcony. I have written the TA at AAA to see if she can get the same quote. I haven't heard from her yet since last Wednesday. I'm assuming the holiday played a part and am giving her some extra time to respond. One of the TA's that gave me a quote stated that I can transfer the reservation to her by faxing Princess Cruises. Fine. However, there's a $35 per cabin cancellation fee with AAA. The other TA stated that they shouldn't charge that fee since I'm not cancelling. Would she be right? I think it's a guess on her part, but it makes sense after rereading the invoice. I was hoping someone out there might have done this before. This is the first time we have gone to this agency.
Thanks for all help.
Benedetta
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Transferring Res to Another TA

Benedetta,
Some agencies do charge a fee if you cancel the cruise with them, even if you re-book it with someone else. Personally I do not like those that do and won't book with them but that is just me. AAA rates typically are not the best from what I have found by looking around the Internet and with my own TA but they can sometimes provide a good rate so one should not dismiss them out of hand. Talk to your TA and tell them what you have found and the rates etc. Give him/her the chance to match this pricing. Make sure ALL fees are counted and nobody is leaving out port fees, taxes, etc. You want a bottom line figure for the TOTAL costs. IF you current TA cannot come close then you may wish to eat the cancellation fee and try the new agent. Hopefully the previous agent will be able to help with the lower rate, or if they can't allow you to transfer the booking without penalty. Keep in mind your level of service for future bookings. As you can see, it pays, (sometimes quite a bit in real money), to do as much research as you can in getting the most cruise for your money. We here at Cruisemates always encourage people gaining as much knowledge as they can to have the most fulfilling cruise vacation they can have.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 8th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would bet dollars to donuts that you'll end up having to pay the cancellation fee... unless perhaps you weren't made aware of its existance prior to booking.

Amazing to me how much business AAA agencies do since every time I've checked them their prices are higher than most everyone else. Guess that's why they charge the cancellation fee.. for when people find better deals <G>

Old July 10th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Cookie

Hi Benedetta, We are booked on the same cruise and also had a heck of a time with our TA. (Mistakes w/ price and shipboard credit) Now I've seen our cabin for as much as $100 less and thought I would get a call from her. I'm very disappointed in her. I know there is a great TA out there for me somewhere! I'll just keep looking. I hope things work out for you. E-mail me so we can compare notes! See you on the Grand Oct 13th. Cookie
Old July 12th, 2002, 12:44 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Transferring Res to Another TA

The best reason for booking w/AAA is because you can actually book your cabin for only $25 pp IF you are a member. BUT! You generally WILL be paying a higher price. I have tried to use them a couple of times, but each time the very nice T/A could not match the prices I could get elsewhere. We always just book inside cabins but on the average the prices have always run $80 to $120 more w/AAA for a 7 day cruise than the big discount cruise agencies. AAA is pretty big and well known, so what is the problem? I asked that question on these boards once and some of those in the know stated that it has to do with their minimum commission requirments. They are just not willing to accept less to get my business. I suppose that must be true. My T/A at AAA called the cruiseline right in front of me once to try to get the other price I was quoted. She acted totally bewildered as to how I could get the other price and she was not able to match it. I don't think SHE was lying to me, but I think as soon as RCCL heard it was AAA, they knew the situation.
Good luck getting your situation straightened out. I'm like Kuki and really try NOT to deal w/an agency that charges for cancellations. I can understand why they do it, but they just won't get my business.