Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Beginner

Default Strange Question: Cruise to Hawaii from US?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could take a cruise from Miami Florida port to Hawaii. I know it sounds silly but I've always wanted to go to Hawaii but am deathly afraid of flying or taking a train, is it possible to take a cruise or 2 different cruise lines to get to Hawaii from Florida? How would that work? Would I have to take a cruise from Florida to Mexico or California or something and then catch another cruiseline to Hawaii and then to get back find another cruiseline in California or Mexico to get me back to Florida? Or is there a way to take a cruise from Miami through the panama canal to California or something to gas up and then on to Hawaii (round trip)? Does any one possible have a clue as to how I would work this?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Strange Question: Cruise to Hawaii from US?

You TA should be able to help you with that. Ask him/her to look into it, but it will probably not be possible without it being a 25+ day back to back cruise on different cruise lines.

Jodi

Old July 17th, 2002, 10:28 PM
DeniseToAlaska

You'd have to talk to a TA, but I don't think it's possible.

I've been looking at a lot of repositioning cruises, cause they're cheaper. Many ships reposition from Florida to CA/Mexico then to HI, but then don't reposition back to FL until after the HI season is over.

You'd also be looking at astronomical costs. It might be better to rent a yacht.

Denise
Old July 18th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Think about doubling whatever you do, you have to get back as well. i4 day panama canal , Miami or Ft Lauderdale to San Diego +11 day Ensenada to Hawaii then turn around and do the whole thing over again in reverse. 50 day cruise, , sounds good to me.
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Admiral

You could take the train to the West Coast and then the cruise.....
Old July 18th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Admiral

If a train scares you try renting a car with unlimited mileage and drive to the west coast. You'll have to pay the drop off charge but you might even be able to get out of this with some rental car companies. Also, the bus is an option, but Lord Have Mercy, I'd never ride a bus across country.

There are ships that go from Miami to L.A., or Seattle, or San Diego. That's no problem. Then from the west coast to Hawaii. That's no problem. Then you'd have to do a return trip and that can be a problem because you would be cruising from Miami to the west coast on a repositioning cruise. But, I'm confident it can be done if money is no object.

However, you posted you really wanted to see Hawaii. I've been to Hawaii several times and it is, IMHO, the most beautiful place in the world. If you have the resources I'd recommend spending at least 3 weeks there. And keep in mind, getting from island to island is usually a plane flight, that you won't do. I guess there are boat transports between the islands but I've never had a need to look into these.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:48 PM
TomS

It would be very difficult to do this round-trip without flying. The only way you could do it would be to do a Miami to San Diego/Ensenada repositioning cruise followed by Ensenada to Hawaii and then Hawaii to Vancouver followed by a one-way car rental back to Miami. You might also check into freigher travel for part or all of this. The freighter could get you back to Miami directly.
Old July 21st, 2002, 12:12 PM
Carole Dunham

Why not take a cruise around the world! Most of them stop in Hawaii and they will take you back to your port of embarkation. It's a fabulous trip!

Carole