Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Default Refund Due Me?

I noticed today that the price if my cruise departing 9/1 went down $200. I have already paid in full. Can I get a refund through my online TA this late? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Refund Due Me?

Call your TA first thing tomorrow morning and put him/her to work. You shouldn't have to be the one to find the reduction. That's part of their job. At this point it might come in the form of a shipboard credit though.

Carole
Old August 8th, 2002, 09:20 AM
patticake

Default Re: Re: Refund Due Me?

I just got a email from my on line TA that they reduced my cruise for 8/25 and carnival was giving me a credit on my card. I was in shock. That has never happened before. I had noticed that the prices have dropped and was wondering about that myself. I know that you can request it before the final payment is due with good results. But I didn't think they would do it after that. The TA I'm using is icruise. They are the best. Good Luck. Happy Sailing.
Old August 8th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Re: Refund Due Me?

There are times the cruise line will designate pricing for "new bookings only" so if you're after final payment date, therefore unable to cancel, you're stuck.
I could never understand that... penalizing the customers who booked early seems like bad business sense, but it happens.

If it isn't designated new bookings only you should be able to get the refund on the reduction.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Refund Due Me?

I agree to a point mooseman. In a way it seems like the early booking passenger is getting penalized but on the other hand they are getting their cruise when they want on the ship they want. If I don't care where I cruise to and wait until the bargain last minute fares are issued then it is a savings for me. But if I want a specific itinerary on a specific week then I wouldn't have a problem knowing that because I'm booking this cruise early to insure my preferences are met that I will be paying more than someone who booked it 3 weeks before departure. The last minute passenger has limited cruising options.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 8th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Refund Due Me?

What Thomas said.

Many people plan their trips well in advance (look at the people on the boards talking about 2004 criuses already !!!) and want what they want.

Others have the freedom, money, and flexibity to cruise at the drop of a great deal and a passport.

Those folks are taking the "leftovers." And the cruise lines are happy to have them. To say nothing of the tip-dependent staff.

It's sort of like the "Meat Manager's Special" at your local supermarket.

Old August 8th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Refund Due Me?

Thomas and Pamda..
Certainly what you guys say is true.. pick your ship and cabin if you book early. The cruise lines have also always promoted booking early for savings.

If you asked the cruise lines( I have), they would tell you pricing is supposed to work on a bell curve. Book early..save $... then prices rise.. and then the last minute discounting.

What seems to have happened the last couple of years isn't even close. The cruise lines are relying more heavily on yield management programs. A particular category on a particular sailing doesn't seem to be selling well; the program will kick in and lower that category.
This creates some situations which can make no sense. On the Get Lei'd cruise for example, the inside cabins were more expensive than the balcony cabins.

That worked out great for our group, but a very peculiar situation. I make little enough sense... I need the rest of the world to make up for it, by making good sense.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 9th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Refund Due Me?

My online TA said the pricing had gone down on their website but for new bookings only. She gave me a very small refund after calling RCCL. She said because I called in and booked by phone instead of directly on the web. the cost was a bit more.

She said I could cancel with her and book directly on their web site for that price. But, I don't want to do that because I have a very good aft/stern cabin that I want and if I cancel with her I'll probably lose it (or wait and watch til it pops up on the web site and hopefully get it) Does all this sound correct?

I have been reading the posts about being able to book early and having more selection than the last minute booker and that no changes are usually given after final payment. I'm torn between the 2 arguments. The TA has always answered my phone calls and no problems other than this. This is the 1st time using this online co. so am not sure I'll use them again. Any input????