Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Default Drop down beds

I'm looking at Carnival, RCCL, and Princess and I'm concerned about the quality, functionality, and safety of the drop down bunks for an eight year old and five year old. Are these beds comfortable and safe? Is there any difference in the beds between the different cruise lines mentioned above? Last, is it better to seekm these rooms out rather than sofa beds/rollaways for the space savings. Help and thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Drop down beds

Many of the Carnival rooms have queen size convertable sofas in them. Why don't you look at those if you are afraid of the kids in the drop downs. Of course, mom and dad could always sleep in the "uppers" . Happy cruising
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Hi, Snowtom ...

I have never experienced a cabin with drop-down beds, but I have a couple of thoughts.

I'd worry about restless sleeper kids falling out of the upper beds. It might be a good idea to ask the cabin steward(ess) for an extra sheet to LOOSELY tie the kids into the beds. They could roll around, but not fall out.

I doubt (but I don't know) that there are ladders from the "uppers". This means that if a kid has to use the bathroom during the night one of the lower bed people might have to assist. I'd find out about that.

We did "test" the fold-out couch on one ship ... if the couch were open as a bed there was almost no way the people in the "main" bed could get to the bathroom with the couch extended. On another ship, same deal, just in reverse. The fold-outs do take up a lot of space.

Maybe the answer is to hold back on liquids after 6 PM and make sure everyone uses the "facility" before bedtime ???

AND have a nightlight available at all times.

Old August 8th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Passenger

We had a room with drop down beds on the Voyager a few years ago. My kids, who were 9 and 10 at the time, used the beds. At first I was concerned one of them would fall out but if I remember correctly there was a bed railing to prevent that. Also there is a ladder from the bed to the floor for getting up and down altho at night they still needed a bit of help because it was dark in the room. The beds stored in the ceiling during the day altho I can't remember where the bed rail and ladder were stored but i don't remember it being a problem.

The biggest problem with 4 in the room is just not enough space to maneveur around each other but for as little as you are in the room it is do-able.

Elise
Old August 8th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Admiral

There are railing that fold up and lock to prevent one from rolling out of bed. There are also ladders for each bed that lock into place. I have slept in a couple of 'uppers' myself and they are just as comfortable, if not moreso than your typical lower bed. These 'uppers' also fold up inot to wall or cieling during the day so they are out of your way.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 9th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Thanks Jim and Elise ...

Now I feel better about those "uppers".
Old August 9th, 2002, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Drop down beds

We had an upper bed when we were on explorer last winter and the upper bed was right above our bed, so if your child were to roll of f of the bed they would just fall on top of you.
Old August 9th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Yeoman

To get a nights sleep in the fold down beds I have experienced, you have to really want to be on a cruise, have had an industrial strength nightcap, or be a kid who can sleep anywhere. Best described as a pad on a board. Since it is about 1/3 the size of the bed below, the occupant will indeed land on top of you. Hadn't thought of it but the company probably gets safety points for that feature. The fold out sofas are a bit more humane, the best seems to be the sofas with a bed built into the backrest that folds down.

My daughter sailed on MOS in a tiny room with two sofas that converted into beds with two fold down bunks above. If it were a jail cell, the human rights people would be apoplectic.

That said, if you really want to cruise and feel you have to sleep, they work fine.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old August 11th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Drop down beds

pamda wrote:

It might be a good idea to ask the cabin
> steward(ess) for an extra sheet to LOOSELY tie the kids into
> the beds.

Pamda! Why did visions of "Mommie Dearest" come flying into my head: "Christopher, strap yourself in!"

:-)

Harry
Old August 11th, 2002, 04:21 PM
robocop

There is a steel bar that flips up and locks in place to prevent one from rolling out of the bed. If you roll over that thing you have a serious tossing and turning problem! <G> Additionally I don't know what ship you have been on Don but all the uppers I have seen so far are the same size as the lower beds. If I were to run into one that is only 1/3 the size of that bed we would have a real serious situation! <>
Jim
Community Staff Leader
Old August 11th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Linda T.

I have to agree with Robo on this one. I've been on 29 cruises, most of them with upper berths. They have all been the same size as the twin bed underneath. and they are very comfortable. The rails make it very safe and they have a ladder to get to the top. If your worried about your kids falling off you and your husband could sleep up there and give the kids the bottom beds.
Old August 11th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Go to your room, Harry. I will be right over to tie you down.

Seriously, I have never been in a cabin with drop-downs and had all sorts of horrid visions.

Your pal,

Mommie Dearest
Old August 12th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Yeoman

OK, 2/3rds.