Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2002, 11:40 PM
mlbcruiser

Default wheelchair rentals?

Are wheelchairs ever provided on a ship? Or can you rent them on a ship? If you are using one, whether you bring it yourself or get it on the ship, do you HAVE to book a handicapped cabin? We are thinking of taking our mom on a short 80th b'day cruise and though she can walk around, she cannot go very far at all without sitting down, at least for a while. We generally rent a wheelchair at the mall, since it's just quicker all the way around. If anyone has any info. on this, we'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: wheelchair rentals?

I don't know about all cruise lines, but those I do know about do have wheelchairs on board but you can't take them off the ship.

You'd probably do better renting a lightweight portable chair at a medical supply store. Your mom would probably appreciate it in the airports, too.

Old August 14th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Yeoman

Might want to find your company's website and ask them or put your TA to work.

Last ship I was on had both wheelchairs and powered scooters. All the bahamas cruises I've taken have balloon tired pcv and canvas chairs to use on their islands. Cruise personnel always seem to be available to help at either the gangway or getting on and off a tender. Handicap rooms look larger on the floorplan but a lot of that room is taken up with an inordinately large bath.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old August 14th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Admiral

mlb ...

Also check with Medicare/Medicaid. They might pick up the cost of the wheelchair. Also, I understand that the Lions' Club will work on such issues.

Old August 16th, 2002, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Just back from Grand Princess with my 70+ mom. She too can walk but with such a large ship, a wheelchair proved necessary. I priced having a chair delivered to the ship, using one on board, or bringing my own. A small lightweight chair delivered to the ship would have been $119.00 for a week. Other forums advised me not to use the cruiselines chairs as they are often dirty or broken. A local rental place got me a transport chair for $30 a week or $50 a month. We wheeled mom all the way to each airline gate where an attendent took the chair. Mom used the chair between gates and the wheelchair was always unloaded quickley so she never walked more then a few steps. Our cabins were not handicapped but no problem. Have a chair available on board and for shore visits made her trip much easier.