Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2002, 05:15 PM
MrPnut

Default Bringing liquor on board

What exactly are the rules about bringing liquor on board a ship? I'm sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on the Grand Princess to Princess Cay-Bahamas, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Am I not allowed to pre-pack a bottle of hard liquor in my luggage to enjoy from day one in the comfort of my mini-suite's balcony? Or is it just stuff you buy in foreign ports? Does the same hold true with wine or beer? How about soda pop to put in the cabin's refrigerator? If I can't bring any of this aboard, what are prices like for bottles of liquor aboard ship...is it like hotel room service where you pay $60 for a fifth of Jack Daniel's? Thanks in advance for your responses!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Bringing liquor on board

Hi MrPnut,
If you pre-pack a bottle of your hard liquor in your checked luggage, you should be fine. You can also carry-on soda and have no problems. Last cruise on Golden, we did bring back a 6 pack of beer on one of the stops and they even asked what we were bring onboard and said it was OK, so seems that beer and wine are acceptable to carry onboard, have a great cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 17th, 2002, 01:51 AM
MrPnut

Default Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

Thanks for the clear, concise answer. I couldn't find it on any other website. Yours is the most helpful cruise info site on the web!
Old August 18th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Bringing liquor on board

Technically, according to their policy, you are not allowed to bring liquor on board with you. Same is true for beer and wine. They will allow you to bring on a bottle of wine for a special occasion, such as a wedding anniversary, but they will hold it for you and deliver it to your dinner table and charge you a corkage fee. If you buy liquor in the port and bring it on board they will, again technically, hold it for you until the last night of the cruise and deliver it to your room.

HOWEVER, the rules are administered loosely and usually they don't enforce these rules. Just don't be blatant about it and you will be fine. On our last cruise a passenger brought a bottle of liquor aboard which he had purchased in port and the staff member at the gangway told him for an $8 fee he could take it to his room. This may have been a staff member just trying to make a little extra cash or it may be a different policy from their standard one.

I believe the rules are there to stop excesses. Do patronize their bars and avoid running around the ship with a bottle in hand. If you're discreet they will not hassle you.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:11 PM
MrPnut

Default Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to give the impression that I'm obsessed with drinking. It just sounds like the balconies on the mini-suites are a nice place to enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine. I wasn't quite sure how to get it, short of walking to a bar and then strolling glass in hand back to the room. As I mentioned before, I was concerned it may be like hotel room service pricing where you pay $60 for a $12 retail fifth of liquor. I understand that they sell bottles of liquor on the ship's stores. Any rough idea of the pricing?
Old August 19th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

The liquor on board is not that expensive. But if you buy a bottle in the gift shop they will hold it for you until the last night of the cruise. That's why we don't ever buy any in the gift shop, or in ports for that matter. Never believed it was worth the hassle of toting around bottles of liquor in the luggage to save a few dollars.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Kazba

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

You can buy bottles of just about anything in the duty free shop. At least aboard Carnival. That is what we did then enjoyed in our room hastle free. It was actually cheaper in the duty free shop as well.
Old August 19th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

Kazba was allowed to take the bottle to the room. See, the rules are administered differently, but the stated policy is they will hold the bottle until the last night of the cruise.

We bring along a small bottle of liquor in our carryon luggage to have a cocktail before retiring for the night. We don't particularly like having to put clothes back on and walking across the ship to get a drink before going to bed. I don't think the cruise lines have a problem with this.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 19th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

You can no longer buy a bottle of booze onboard a CCl ship and take it to your cabin. It WILL be held until the afternoon of the last day of the cruise. I am not sure of the policy onboard Princess, some allow you to pay the non-duty-free price and bring it to your cabin, other lines do not.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 28th, 2002, 12:49 AM
willyum

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

Is "CCI" Celebrity Cruise Lines???
Old September 15th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing liquor on board

So would this rule change if we all decided to go back on deck in our pajamas or (torn) undies to get our (medically necessary) alcoholic drink before beddy-bye?