Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2002, 09:01 PM
Jack & Diane

Default Best place to snorkel

Greetings!

Can anyone suggest the best place to snorkel for first time snokel'ers?
We will be visiting Cosemel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios in February.
If we had only one place to choose from which place would it be?

Thanks
Jack
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Best place to snorkel

Definitely Cozumel.

The Palancar reef is accounted the second best in the world (after the Great Barrier in Oz) by none less that Jacques Costeau.

At least, that would be my choice.

Old August 23rd, 2002, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Best place to snorkel

Hi Jack & Diane,
Agree with Pam, Cozumel would be the place, but don't forget to snorkel with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, its awesome and be sure to buy some underwater cameras at home first.

In Cozumel, you can take a cab over to Chakanaab Park and snorkel there, hear the snorkeling is good and you can rent the equipment or bring your own, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 24th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Best place to snorkel

Personally I would opt for the first timer to snorkel at Edans Rock and Devils Grotto right there in the Grand Caymans just to the right of the tender dock. Just turn right when you get off the tender and walk about 200 yards and enter the water there. Lots of coral and fish and safe. Cozumel is wondeful but you are off-shore just a bit and there is a current. You should, and it is highly recommended to swim with the StingRays in the Caymans as well, you will still have time to snorkel that afternoon there.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 24th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just came back last week from Western Carib. It was our first cruise and first time snorkeling. We did everything. In Grand Cayman we swam with the stingrays. We originially booked from Capt. Marvin but changed to book from our cruise ship, which I was glad that we did though I have heard great things about capt. Marvin . This way we got to tender first because we went with cruise ship, in Cozumel we went to Playasol, took a cab there it was the best best time. Our plan included all drinks free it was $19 from our ship but they gave us the $28 package. A must to take out the banana boat ride. You ride on a banana raft and the guy pulls you that was $10 a person extra but that is cheap from what I understand. Got there first thing 10:00 am and had the advantage of using everything before it got crowded. Drinks are all made with purified water by the way. In Grand Cayman after stingrays we then went on the wreck and reef tour. They take you to two different reefs. I was tired by the second reef but my husband said the fish were huge. It is near the dock in Grand Cayman and you go out on a ship. Then in Jamaica Ocho Rios. We did the Jeep Safari. I little expensesive but something to always remember you share the environment and really get into the hills of Jamaica, then off to the Dunns River. What a great time. Wish we were going with you. What ship are you on.
Old August 25th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Jack & Diane

Default Re: Re: Re: Best place to snorkel

Thanks to all,
It looks like the StingRays in going to be on our agenda.
And also Cosamel has a snorkel vote.
What else looks good in Cosamel?
How is Carlos & Charlies?
We will be on Cosamel for a full day.
We are on the Triumph Feb 8.
Thanks agian to all.
Jack
Old August 28th, 2002, 11:06 PM
mlbcruiser

I would agree except that I believe Palancar Reef (the REAL section called Palancar) is predominately a sight for divers and is rather deep for snorkeling. Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel says it takes you to snorkel Palancar. Maybe so. But I was told by other outfitters and my brother, who dives a lot, that divers are the ones who do Palancar. They also do a lot of drift diving there. Not something for beginners. The reef that runs along the coast of Mexico and on down past Belize IS the 2nd largest reef in the world. There are many sections to it, all w/various names. Just about anyplace around Cozumel (esp. Chankanaab and right off some of the other beaches or places they take you on catamaran tours) is great and there are many places around Grand Cayman, too. Some of the other posters have mentioned them. I've only been around Ocho Rios, but generally Jamaica isn't considered a top snorkeling location. Hope you get some great snorkeling in no matter where you go!
Old August 29th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Jack & Diane

Default Re: Re: Re: Best place to snorkel

Thank You very much mlbcruiser!

I appreciate your input.
We are not only beginner snokl'er's, I am not the swimmer I would like to be.
From what I have been reading, your right, Ocho Rios is not on our "best place to snorkel" agenda. I think snorkling with the stingrays (Grand Cayman) seems more our limit. I hear its only about 5 feet deep in some areas.

Thanks agian!
Jack