Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Default French Reef(cole bay) snorkeling

Is it easy to reach from shore? What about current? Is there a lot of sea life? Is this a pretty beach?
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2002, 10:57 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: French Reef(cole bay) snorkeling

I've snorkeled fair amount and cannot figure out exactly what you are talking about. Perhaps there IS someplace called French Reef in Cole Bay in St. Maarten, as there IS a place called Cole Bay. But are you talking about the area around Frenchman's Reef Hotel in St. Thomas? (Morningstar Beach?) Or maybe Coki Beach near Coral World in St. Thomas? I noticed you posted a couple of other questions regarding snorkeling in those places. First of all, St. John (Trunk Bay) near St. Thomas has several wonderful snorkeling beaches and areas you can reach by boat as well. (Cinnamon Bay, Honeymoon Bay, etc.) If you have never been to St. John, I would definitely go there. Trunk Bay is more heavily snorkeled than it used to be but there are beaches in the coves "next door" that also have coral and fish. The island is lovely and pristine. Something to behold. I have heard Coki Beach is also pretty good, and it is on St. Thomas near Coral World. And there is the Buck Island Tour (not the same one as the Buck Is. off of St. Croix). Lots of times it just depends upon the sea conditions or if there have been recent storms as to whether you will see a lot or not. In St. Maarten, Dawn Beach has a reef just a very short way off shore. In general, St. Maarten isn't the best snorkeling island. I have snorkeled at Anguilla (on an excursion from St. Maarten) and it was just o.k., too. Heard various reports about Pinel Is. If you are really into snorkeling, you might want to try the western caribbean itinerary. Grand Cayman has fabulous snorkeling, and I don't just mean Stingray City. (Great, but all you'll see is the rays, which is awesome in itself.) But many tour operators will take you to the "Gardens" or various other really terrific sights full of fish. Also Cozumel has good snorkeling sights. Some off the beach. Many catamaran and boat tours to sites along the coast. And, very easy to get to, Chankanaab Park just a few miles from the port by taxi. A public park with super snorkeling! Hope this helps. Good luck on your excursions!