Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:00 PM
First Mate

Default How many suitcases?

We were sent ten package "ID" cards to put on our suitcases. This is for a family of four. I assume that we can send in ten suitcases? Is that right? Our carryons don't have to have tags, do they? We have a couple big suitcases going with us.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:25 PM
sls

Default Re: How many suitcases?

If you ar flying in make sure you only take as many as the airline will allow. Also there is a weight limit for the airlines and you don't want to go over that or it will cost you $$.

If you are driving take as many suitcases and as big as you want. If you need extra tags you can get them from the porters. Carry ons don't need to be tagged.

sls

Liberty 10/24/05
Destiny 12/04
Sensation 5/04
Holiday 1/04
Conquest 11/03
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

As sls said, you will be limited to the number of pieces and weight of each piece by the airlines, if you are flying.

Don't put you cruise luggage tags on your bags until you reach your destination. If you are flying, put them on at the airport if you are going from the airport to the ship. If you are coming in a day or so early, put them on your luggage the night before you leave your hotel for the ship.

Your carry on luggage does not need to be tagged.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:18 PM
AR

No matter how many bags they'll let you get away with, I'd shoot for one suitcase and one carryon per person. The mere thought of 10 suitcases for four people is mind boggling, unless it's a 90-day round-the-world cruise or something.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Yeoman

I'm trying to boggle my mind, but can't seem to before I get to two checked and one carry-on per person. So I can see up to twelve suitcases for four adults, without much trouble, though four of them would be hanging over people's shoulders.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Yeoman

I got called away... let me finish that message....

I find that putting too much in too few suitcases leads more readily to wrinkled clothing. I'd think it better to more, less-heavily-packed suitcases, than less, more-heavily-packed suitcases. Besides, that leaves more room for souvenirs! Of course, a single person cannot readily manage two plus one unless the two connect together and move effectively as a single unit. Rolling bags with straps to connect the smaller to the larger address this. My bags readily even strap-in my carry-on, though it isn't as handy that way.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: How many suitcases?

Hey I didn't think of connecting the two large suitecases. The large ones are mainly for our formals. Of course I can put other things in also.

By the way, we are driving.

Thanks
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:18 PM
AR

Well, you can make a good case about not overpacking a given bag and I don't disagree with that. It's just that most people simply take way too much stuff, when they get home they admit they took way too much stuff, and next time they take way too much stuff again.

We use all sorts of tricks to pack light--like we take just over half the underwear we'll need, and have it laundered halfway through the trip. We don't overdo the shoes, which take up lots of space. My wife doesn't bring tons of makeup and toiletries, and for sure we don't bring steamers, curlers, uncurlers, spray wrinke release, spray starch, spray paint, duct tape, power strips, irons, Drano, plumbing supplies, or electrical generators.

When the bags arrive at the room we're unpacked and ship shape in ten to fifteen minutes, ready to have a good time.
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Yeoman

lizzy

i just picked up my two sisters and their husbands at the airport after their cruise. i could not beleive all the bags they had. they did not listen to me at all about packing for the cruise. each one had two huge bags that were overweight, another bag that was a little smaller, and two carry-ones. that was per person. i about died when i saw what they had taken. thank god they flew in at different times. my car could not have gotten all the bags and them in it. they admitted they took way too many clothes that they never wore and had too lug around all that weight for nothing.

for my 7 day alaska cruise i had one medium size bag for my checked luggage and a pilot size carry-on. and my purse with a long strap that i crossed over the front of me for safety and convenience sake.

like everyone says here on the board, pack and take out half, then take out half again. you can always mix and match, pick up tshirts in the ports to wear and have them as souveniers,and the 'on the ship casual outfits and diner outfits' can be worn twice unless you get them dirty or stained..

Post Edited (07-19-04 19:41)
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Yeoman

Oh yeah! Another good reason to bring more bags, packed less-heavily: Weight restrictions.
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:49 AM
AR

Bicker--

On airlines there are both weight restrictions and "count" restrictions. Violate either and you pay through the nose. They will not count two suitcases as one just because you have them lashed together.

For exact details consult the website of the airline you will be flying.
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Admiral

since you are driving you don't have to worry about the size, and how many bags you are bringing. I myself perfer to pack in 2 medium sized bags as opposed to one huge one. We always pack our formals & our "good" clothes in a hanging garment bag.
The question comes down to how many and what size bags can each of you manage? Yes you can use ships porters, but each person must be responsible and have with them each of their bags when going through customs
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Parrot Mom

Let's cut to the chase... your probably going to want to take TWO bags each.. plus we take a garment bag for our dressier clothes and a"necesities:"bag that does include our over the bathroom door shoe bag where we have shampoos, first aid items,flashlight, woolite,clothes pins, sandals and all sorts of misc. stuff like sun tan lotions.. We did a two week cruise with only four ports and we took SIX bags for the two of us..lol. Forgot the days not at the ports we spent in bathing suits..lol
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Parrot Mom

Oh and each person should have a carry on...with personal items etc.
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Good point about the over-the-bathroom-door shoe bag, Parrot Mom. Sounds like that would leave you with a lot of good counter space.....well, a lot relative to what you had when you started!

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
AR

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm the only male writing on this string, so I guess I'll bow out. As I do, I express my sympathy for the males in your families who have to schlep all the junk you ladies pack. :-)

I learned early. During the first ten years or so of my working life I was a cinematographer and most of my business travel included big fitted cases for cameras, tripods, lights, grip gear, and more. I learned then to streamline my personal packing in the interest of self-preservation.

Even now, we keep it light because we almost always extend cruises with land trips at one or both ends. Carrying unnecessary junk to and from the ship is bad enough; but humping it all over Europe (or wherever) too--forget it.

My wife and I were talking the other day about our first big vacation together after our honeymoon. It was in 1970, and somehow we each got 5 weeks off and went to Europe for the whole five weeks. We started in Rome, then Venice, then visited friends near Turin, then Geneva, then Cologne for a trade show, then Munich to visit a friend and go to Oktoberfest, then to Geingen (the little German town where they make Steiff toys) to visit another friend, then Paris, then London, then home. All the travel in Europe was by train. I have a picture of us arriving home with me slumped over our two (count 'em) suitcases and one carryon. The really sobering part is that in those days suitcases didn't have wheels. Ah, youth!

Anyway, enjoy packing your many bags for your cruises. Don't forget the duct tape and Drano. :-)
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: How many suitcases?

AR: You sound like my kind of cruise packer. We know now what you don't take but would you tell us a little more about what you DO take? I think I do fairly well in that department but am always open to suggestions.
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How many suitcases?

I did read that there you should lock your suitcases, right?
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:59 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: How many suitcases?

Of course, but then again, all airlines permit two checked and one carry-on bag per passenger.
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:01 AM
Yeoman

No, AR, you're not the only guy. I don't have any problem sharing shlepping duties with my wife. We're equals. I drag the heavier, bulkier bags, when we have same (which we won't this time -- two 27"-ers, two 25"-ers, and two identical carry-ons -- the only difference might be her carry-on may be heavier, but she won't let me carry it anyway!)
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:02 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How many suitcases?

If you lock your suitcases, and you're flying, you should lock them with TSA-approved locks only.
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:41 PM
Parrot Mom

The shoe bag was from John (Calgon) and besides making it convenient to find things, it keeps the floor clean for the steward/stewardess. I really envy people who travel lightly... I've never met a piece of luggage I don't covet...lol
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
AR

To Parrot Mom--

You know the old saying that work expands to fill the time available? Well I think you've proven the first corollory: "Junk that you pack expands to fill the suitcases available." Maybe the first step to more efficient packing is to throw out some luggage! :-)

To Kmikey 212--

Since you asked, I started to make a list of what we pack, but I realized that if I post it it'll just trigger a bunch of answers about the "essential" things that we don't take (which obviously means we don't think they're essential, but never mind).

Lets leave it at this: We each take one normal-size suitcase (24" or 27") and we share a garment bag. We also share a carry-on (not a small suitcase with wheels, but a simple parachute cloth hand bag, about 8x10x16). This is for trips up to three weeks. I pack one suit or tux and wear a sport coat. She packs two nice outfits (one is always basic black), and wears a smart outfit on the plane. I know that most people dress down on the plane, but we don't for two reasons: 1) wearing the sport coat is a good way not to pack it, and it's no particular trouble, and 2) we have an airline employee in the family so we get to fly for free, but when we do there is a dress code--especially in first class. And, unlike aboard ship, this dress code is enforced.

Beyond that, we cool it with the shoes. My toiletries kit is very small: shaver, toothbrush, deodorant, hair brush, after shave. Hers is somewhat more substantial, but it all fits in a kit that's about 10x5x5, plus a couple extra bottles of gunk that she stuffs in shoes. As I said before, we seriously underpack shirts, hose and underwear and use the ship's laundry service.

That plus NOT packing all the "extras" that I read about on these boards pretty much does the trick. We've never felt that we failed to pack enough, or that we were lacking something we needed.

Finally, in 35+ years of travel on land, sea, air and rail, we've never packed more than we could comfortably carry ourselves--as I said before, even in the days of suitcases without wheels (of course, we were younger then!). Two months ago when we cruised from Dover, we took the tube into central London from Heathrow and walked to our hotel. On cruise day we walked to Charing Cross to catch the train to Dover. No problem at all, and my wife's had bilateral knee replacements.

So, it can be done.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:15 PM
Parrot Mom

AR...first I dump Parrot Pop....lol I';m in the category.....of... if there is too much space left.. I must of forgotten something..lol
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:34 PM
AR

Parrot Mom--

I suggested you might want to get rid of old luggage. Parrot Pop is old baggage. There's a subtle difference which he'll no doubt be glad I pointed out. Besides, you need him to carry all that stuff, don't you? :-)