Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Miki

Default liquor in your own cabin

Does Carnival Victory allow you to bring liquor in your luggage for use in the privacy of your own cabin?
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Patticake

Default Re: liquor in your own cabin

Usually it's a bottle of wine and or champaign,for special occasions. If you buy liquor on the ship or islands, they will take it and give it back the last night of the cruise. If it's a punch mixture they will usually let you take it aboard. But it all depends on who is screening that day. I've heard of people putting liquor in water bottles etc. and carrying it on. But do it, at your own risk. Make sure you carry your wine or champaigne on, don't trust your packing, they get pretty rough with the luggage.
Old September 4th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

I have a feeling this site has some accomplished experts at smuggling liquor aboard.
Old September 7th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: liquor in your own cabin

Ummm, yep, that's me (among many others).

I've smuggled every one of the last 7 cruises I have been on in the past 2 1/2 years. But rest assured, I have no problem ordering a martini at dinner -- I just like the option of having it in the cabin.

Anyway, here are my tips:

* Nope, Carnival does not allow it, but it's not like you have to fly a flag that you have some booze in CHECKED luggage. No one checks the interiors of these suitcases. Carry-ons you have to be even more circumspect.

* When packing, I usually buy in plastic bottles (gin) and pack in between clothes. To ensure no leakage hits the clothes, I buy the jumbo Ziplock bags and zip it on up. If your liuquor of choice is in glass, I probably would be prone to transfer it to plastic water bottles or something.

* Mixers are hard to come by (tonic for instance) so plan accordingly. Plenty of OJ on board though :-)

* Pack a swizzle stick -- I've stirred far too many drinks with pens. I finally got smart and packed a swizzle stick from Norwegian on our last Princess cruise.

Hope this all helps,
Harry (the booze cruise runner)
Old September 7th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Cruise Crazy

On my last cruise with Royal Carribean - Rhapsody of the Seas, my husband and I had two (2) 2xlitre bottles of scotch a number of bottles of wine in our checked luggage, and purchased numourous bottles of mixers at the liquor shop onboard and took it all back to our room. We bought mixers at each port we were in.

No- we are not boozers - well not really, we come from overseas and buy it duty free when we leave Australia. We left it all out on the sideboard and our cabin steward even provided a fresh bucket of ice each lunch and evening and provided more glasses as we had a balcony cabin and we invited a few of our new friends around for drinks! We even rang room service on a number of occasions and got some cheese and fruit platters..

I have seen on these boards a number of times where even if you purchase it on the ship they keep it until the end of the cruise - this is not what they did on Royal Carribean. We are going Celebrity in 3 weeks time it will be interesting to see if they do it there.

Cheers!
Old September 7th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Hi, Crazy ...

Our experience on RCI was that you could buy it on board and take it to your cabin, no problem.

On our last Celebrity cruise, they were selling it out the door for the first few days, then the clerks got "busted" for doing it, and purchases were held until the last night out.

Who knows ???

Old September 11th, 2002, 05:34 PM
First Mate

Magellans travel catalog (available on line) have great half liter unbreakable plastic flasks, I`ve had 2 of them for years and they`ve been all over the world with me, great for cruising.....jean
Old September 13th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: liquor in your own cabin

We were on RCCL EOS and they did not allow us to buy liguor on the ship and take back to the cabin. Same thing with buying in the ports. We got it back the night before we arrived back to home port. Now we have taken on wine, champagne and Mike's Hard Lemonade. I would not pack in the luggage. Also in port we would buy pint bottles if we wanted a drink and someone always had shorts with large pockets and we would "smuggle" it in that way. The most fun we had was in Nassua with our 15 yo daughter. We discovered mango rum there and the 3 of us all bought pint bottles. We were told that we could drink it on the streets as long as it was in a paper bag. Talk about having a good time. That's something you can't do stateside unless you are in New Orleans! Anyways be prepared not to be able to get it in and hope that you can.

Diane