Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Default Help - We missed a port due to ship engine

We just got back on Sept. 8th from a seven day Mexican Riviera cruise with Royal Caribbean. We missed our first port (Cabo) because of an engine. They announced that we would stop there on the way back. Return Trip - We were supposed to reach cabo sometime around 9:30 but at 9:30 or 10:00 am an announcement was made stating that since we left Puerto Vallerta very late because of engine tests and additionally the Mexican government issued a huricane watch for that area we would be abandoning Cabo all together. As it turns out we went to Cabo sometime around noon but that was only to medically evacuate a passenger, so they say. By the way the water couldn't have been calmer and Carnival was there? They gave us a $150 on board credit to each stateroom!!!!! Any advice on what I can do? Because we were traveling at a slower speed for a few days it also made for a very uncomfortable voyage.

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2002, 05:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Help - We missed a port due to ship engine

There is not much you can do when a port is missed. In the small print on your cruise contract it will tell you that ports are subject to change. At least you got some remuneration, last year we were on a cruise and missed a port, the only thing we got was a glass of champagne at dinner.....jean
Old September 11th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Sandra ...

The easy answer is that there's nothing you can do. When you book passage, it's up to the cruise line to change port calls in the interest of passenger safety or for other reasons at their discretion.

It's disappointing to miss a port that you're looking forward to, for certain.

I'd say, get the photos developed, do the laundry (yeech!) and look back on a wonderful cruise even if you did miss a port.

Old September 11th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Yes, but you had another"fun day at sea". Weather and mechanical problems are an unfortunate part of cruising as are medical emergencies. I ran into a guy who loves doing Bermuda out of NY on Celebrity. Two years in a row they were diverted towards North Carolina to have a passenger taken off for a medical emergency and lost part of a day or an evening in Bermuda. Rather than dwell on the lost time it just became part of his cruise adventure stories (as yours will 10 cruises from now).
Happy Cruising
Old September 11th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Sorry you missed your port.
If you feel you need to have more which I would probably (a human thing at least for me). I would write a letter and see what happens, you can always try. I think you did make out pretty good. I would be upset if I was sharing a cabin with 4 and only got $ back per cabin. I feel it should be per person. You may get $ towards your next cruise or something? who knows? They say the squeaky wheel...
I would say that if you felt the way they handled relating the difficulty to the passengers was not what you expected or if you felt in danger, I would include those details too in your letter.

Welcome Back
~Julie and Gopher
Old September 12th, 2002, 08:27 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Help - We missed a port due to ship engine

As previously mentioned the passage contract does advise that ports of call are subject to change. It happens(if you cruise long enough). The cruise line has been good to offer you anything at all...You are not entitle to anything else...give it up. Didn't you still have a good time?. We have sailed cruises where the ship made none of the original ports, but we still had a great time. I get so tired of passengers demanding refunds and excesive compensation........sounds to me like the cruise line was very fair with you....get over it and plan your next voyage.
Old September 12th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Help - We missed a port due to ship engine

You should get your pre-paid port taxes back since you weren't able to use the port!
And port taxes/fees can be pretty steep. They are paid for per person not per cabin.
Otherwise the cruise line keeps it? I don't think that is "fare"!

"If you cruise long enough" seasoned cruisers should realize this unless they don't care about their money or they are just "tired".

Sandracus - you do what you need to do and don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Like I said you can always try. And if they do give you something back additional then they felt it was justified. It's all about customer relations. You wouldn't be doing this to take advantage of anyone.

I hope everyone has a GREAT day!
Julie & Gopher
Old September 12th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Patticake

Default Re: Re: Help - We missed a port due to ship engine

Had a few of those adventures myself,, it's not a vacation it's an adventure,, and enjoyed every bit of it.
Old September 12th, 2002, 05:10 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Help - We missed a port due to ship engine

Well, sure, you can make an argument about the port taxes, but the $75pp credit more than covers that.

One of the things cruise travel does better than any other way of getting around is minimize irregularities. That's obviously why a lot of people choose cruising. . .they don't like surprises. And that's fine, but it's important to remember that the ship isn't altering its route just to torque you off. And when they do, the inconvenience is really minimal compared to the things that can and do happen when you travel on your own.

I like cruises, but I also like to just fake it sometimes and travel someplace without a lot of plans and just see what's interesting. When you do that you have to be flexible and willing to move fast and make decisions quickly to take advantage of opportunities. It's fun if you've got that kind of mindset.

Missing a port on a cruise, well, it's just one of those things. And a minor one at that.

AR