Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2002, 03:00 PM
bgill

Default Need Comments on Bow Cabins

I am seeking information from any experienced cruiser that has stayed in a lower deck cabin at the bow (front) of the ship. Will be cruising on the Carnival Victory in December and need to know of any bad experiences with this particular cabin assignment. Just in case we need to change our reservations before we leave!

Thanks,
B. Gill
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Need Comments on Bow Cabins

I cannot comment from direct experience, but, can do so from indirect experience.
Tablemates on a Bermuda cruise were "upgraded" from a highest level inside cabin to the bow cabin on the lowest level. We hit some "weather" on our return cruise and they both were quite quick to say they wished they had not "upgraded". They said it felt like each and every wave was going to come into the cabin and that every wave we crossed sounded like we had just hit a whale.
Old September 16th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Need Comments on Bow Cabins

I was on the Carnival Triumph last year, upper level inside cabin upgraded to upper level bow oceanview cabin. We felt every wave and not only that but there was a banging noise during the rougher sea periods like something was hitting against the side of the ship. After several days we started investigating and turned out that it was the stabilizers (or so they say) and there was nothing to be done about it. Needless to say we try hard to not get stuck at bow. We have always had at all other times been closer to the elevators. It's so much easier to find your way around in that case. Hope this helps!

Diane
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Admiral

We've had bow cabins and they do seem to have more movement than amidship or aft cabins. Whether it was due to the stabilizers, the seas, or this particular ship I can't say for sure, but I will try to avoid forward cabins in the future.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Yeoman

Ships pitch around a point that is usually near the middle. So - if you are at either end you will be at the extreme of a moment arm and feel it. Best ride is midships. Best feeling that you are at sea is in the bow.
Old September 17th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Need Comments on Bow Cabins

We were at the *very* front of the Viking Serenade. The seas were smooth, but when we set up our place in Catalina, we had the rudest wake-up call by the anchor dropping. (In my dreams, it translated as my nephew playing his drums, if that gives you an idea).

When I finally awoke, I sat up in bed and asked Art, "What the ^%&$ is that?"

I would try and change if I were you.

Harry
Old September 17th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Yeoman

Bow thrusters also make a racket .