Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Id needed to get back on board?

What forms of ID will I need to get back aboard ship from my day in port? Passport? Sign & Sail? Drivers license?
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Id needed to get back on board?

Generally speaking you will need your cruise card (sign and sail) and some form of photo ID (license). I do not generally carry my passport ashore, but will sometimes carry a photo copy of it
Old September 20th, 2002, 11:36 PM
AR

Yes, it depends very much where you are. In Europe it is unwise to go ashore without your passport. Why not ask at the desk about your particular cruise? They're there to help.

Me, I carry the passport, period. That's why I have it. It's in a pouch strung around my neck under my shirt. It's like we've said over and over here: if you have your passport, you're in business. It is the trump card. Trying to outguess and outsmart the local authorities is a low percentage game and not worth playing, especially at a time when the rules are--to say the least--in flux.

AR
Old September 21st, 2002, 03:21 AM
Admiral

Some cruise lines will collect your passport upon boarding and retain it throughout the cruise to expedite clearing the ship in the ports of call.

A photo ID (driver's license) and your S&S card are usually sufficient.

Old September 21st, 2002, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Id needed to get back on board?

The cruise we just returned from in Europe, on the Celebrity Constellation, all we required was the shipboard card (the picture was digitally embedded on the card). Previously, even with that system, we also need a picture ID.

Old September 21st, 2002, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I would carry my shipboard sail & spend card AND a photo id such as my DL and as a matter of habit my credit card which also happens to have my photo on it. In most cases all you need is the S&S card as the new procedures involve your photo coming up when you place your card in the security reader. I never take my Passport ashore as I do not wish to lose it. While in Europe onboard a cruise ship, and in the Caribbean if you are not a US Citizen, they will collect your passport when you board and keep it until the end of the cruise so you will not have it to take ashore. That saves the time and trouble of having everyone cleared before you can disembark.
Jim

Old October 1st, 2002, 09:48 PM
First Mate

Your cruise line will tell you exactly what is required. I carry a photocopy of my Passport (safely stored on board) together with whatever the ship gives me when I board and show when I get off - if they clocked me off, seems reasonable to assume that I will be clocked back on again - :-)

Old October 3rd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Mikkimous

We just came back from 15 days onboard the Carnival Legend. Boarded in Europe and sailed it to NYC. The passports were taken from us when we boarded and we did not get them back until the day before we landed. Same thing happened on the Princess ship we were on in the Orient last year. So, no passports in port -- simply not possible.