Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cherylinmaine Send a message via Yahoo to cherylinmaine
Default St. Maarten waste of port call time...

Just writing to warn any cruisers who may be stopping in St. Maarten. My mom and I were approached by a woman standing on a corner and asked if we would like a 100.00 gift certificate, we would have to listen to a vacation ownership pitch for a half hour or so at Oyster Bay, we said sure, whats a half hour. They had a taxi pick us up and brought us to Oyster Bay...well....we were there for almost 3 hours! Dog gone it, there were others from our ship there as well that were just as angry as we were. Be forewarned and don't waste your time, its not worth the 100.00. I should have known better...but.... ugh.
Cheryl

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: St. Maarten waste of port call time...

Hi Cheryl,
The same thing happened to us and once we got to the hotel, I said "forget it", its just a push for a time-share. We then got a cab and went to the beach, I agree, what a total waste of time, beware!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 23rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: St. Maarten waste of port call time...

That old adage "if it's too good to be true" applies here. Especially when you are limited for time. BTW how was Oyster Bay? They are a resort in my timeshare and I was contemplating staying there in the future. Anyways now you know, but I can't believe they told you only 30 minutes, what a crock. Thanks for warning others!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 23rd, 2002, 05:00 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Re: Re: St. Maarten waste of port call time...

The same thing happened to me in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico many years ago. They alo said we would be there for a half hour. They took us up a hill to a timeshare, far from the port. They wouldn't take us back down to the port until shortly before we were to sail. It was very aggressive marketing. They wouldn't let us call cabs either. Naturally, the harder the sell, the more we resisted. They sold 0 timeshares that day. Boy did I ever learn my lesson.

Carole
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cherylinmaine Send a message via Yahoo to cherylinmaine
Default Re: Re: Re: St. Maarten waste of port call time...

Diane,
OB was fabulous! Great beach and really a nice place. Clothing optional on one end of the beach ;p hehee
Cheryl

Old October 23rd, 2002, 07:42 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Maarten waste of port call time...

Hey for $ 100.00 you had to know it would take more than 30 minutes??( I've been stuck once before on timeshares) Its a lesson we all have to learn the hard way. No one gives you $100.00 for nothing.
Glad you didn't buy....many people give in and then regret it.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Maarten waste of port call time...

Oh hey thanks for the info Cheryl. I guess I wouldn't want to take my kids there, oops meant to say husband, lol. I do remember St Maarten having the nude beachs. Maybe I'll still check it out.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 24th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Admiral

In November, the Oyster Bay Timeshare resort only had about one building that even looked "almost" completed. They are right near Dawn Beach. This old resort probably had extensive damage from a hurricane years ago and is being renovated for sale. Thanks for the heads up on the "coupon lady". Often in ports with Timeshares, this freeebee seems so attractive to unsuspecting tourists. You may find this gimik in Aurba, Hawaii and other islands or ports.
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we were in St. Maarten, we had the coupon people everywhere. It was terrible. I'm glad we didn't take them up on the offer!!!! Thanks for the warning..........Stephanie
Old October 27th, 2002, 04:00 PM
gogetter

Hello,

They do that all the time here on the Florida becahes......SO WHATS NEW ????????????