Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jennyy
Default ive never been on a cruise and my family and i wanna go on o

hey everyone! my names jennifer and i*m 15 years old [my bday is 7/15/87] .. i wanna go on a cruise on sping break '03 and for me i have off from april 17th - april 27th so some time inbetween there .. i*ve never been on a cruise and my family and i really wanna go on one but im afraid that im gunna be on a ship that has old ppl on it lolz .. also i live in new york and my mom prefers to leave from here but if we dont or theres no cruises available thats okie lol. So someone help me cuz i*m clueless on cruisin but i kno that its a lotta fun cuz ma bestt friend went on a cruise this summer .. well leave some posts ppl help me out lolz
mwaa x0ox* jennyY
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: ive never been on a cruise and my family and i wanna go

Hi Jenny,

There are always lots of kids traveling with their families over spring break. There is nothing leaving New York this early in the year. Since there are going to be people of different ages traveling with you, I would suggest one of Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships sailing either out of Miami to either the Eastern or Western Caribbean or out of San Juan for the Southern Caribbean. The ships are the argest in the world at 142,000 tons. They have things for everyone in your family. For sports they have rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, in-line skating, basketball, golf. They have teen programs so that you can meet with yoiur fellow teens. If you have younger siblings, they will have programs for them too. They probably have teen discos as well, but I haven't sailed a Voyager class ship (I probably would seem ancient to you, but cruising DOES keep ujs young at heart.) They have shows, hysterical games good food, just everything you can imagine. Now all ships have most of this stuff, but not the ice skating, rock climbing walls or inline skating. I'm sure that Donna will answer your post as well and she's sailed two Voyager class ships. She tells us that there are lots of people of all ages onboard.

Carole

PS You've probably seen the ad Royal Caribbean runs on TV about sting rays. That's on the Western Caribbean. If that's the one you take, don't miss it.
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: ive never been on a cruise and my family and i wanna

thank you carole for ur post and ur not ancient to me. i got a mean post on another section of the message board which i posted. I'm so excited about going on a cruise .. i haven't been on a vacation for 5 yrs and i've never had a family vacation =(. Thank u for ur time and i will put the Royal Carribean in mind =D
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: ive never been on a cruise and my family and i w

Hi Jenny,
I also agree with Carole, definitely try to have the parents check-out one of the "Voyager" class ships from RCCL, they are the greatest for cruising with families/kids. These are the ships that have the rock climbing wall, an inline skating rink and an ice rink where the also have ice shows that are not to be missed. As Carole pointed out, the Western itinary will have a Grand Cayman stop where you can snorkel with the sting rays, its awesome. Just make sure to buy underwater cameras at home before you leave, they are wonderful for doing excursions like this. In Jamaica, there is Dunn River Falls, which is also a lot of fun for the whole family.

We've been on Explorer and it was our favorite cruise so far, lots to do on the ship, the pool decks are big enough to handle the people, in fact there are 2 pools side by side and plenty of lounge chairs to go around, thats my big gripe, but was not a major problem on this ship. The food was very good and the entertainment just can't be beat, they actually have a few parades during the week cruise and a toga night, very funny!

I sure hope your plans do work out, in fact if you are thinking about spring break, now is the time to make your plans, may-be try posting in the "bargain finder" here and see what you can come up with for the week you want to go, its a very popular time to go, so cabins do fill up quickly, so good luck, hope this cruise does work out for you and your family, do let us know. Here is the link to the bargain finder:

http://www.cruisemates.com/CF/bargfind/

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to lidDle jenNy xX
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: ive never been on a cruise and my family and

this is jennyy
thank you very much donna for ur informative post =D
i will tell show my parents what u said in ur email and hopefully they will agree
once again thank u

- jennifer
Old October 24th, 2002, 07:44 PM
First Mate

Jenny, the Explorer of the Sea is sailing to the E. Carib. on Apr. 19-26. You and your family would LOVE this ship! The food, service, shows and activities are wonderful. I've heard nothing but good comments about the youth programs, including the teen activities.
Navigator of the Seas is going to the W. Carib. the same week. Voyager of the Seas is going to the W. Carib. 4-20/4-27, which may be cutting it close for you to get back to school on time. These are the Voyager class Royal Caribbean ships mentiioned above. They are sister ships with the same layouts and programs. Go to a travel agency and ask for the latest RCI vacation planner. Check out the RCI website, too. You can get an idea of what side trips are available at each port. Good Luck!
Old October 24th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to lidDle jenNy xX

thank u kathie =]
sounds like a cool ship i*ll definetly put it into consideration , once again thank you =D
Old October 25th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Jenny, make sure you let the rest of know your selection on the cruise. Good Luck. What ever is the outcome you will have a great time, cruising is the best spring break or vacation you can have.

Post Edited (10-25-02 03:06)

Old October 27th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Jenny, the Carnival Legend may also offer your family a great cruise vacation. It is 8 nights sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. There is a Southern Caribbean cruise leaving Saturday, April 19 returning on Sunday, April 27. The cabins are bigger than normal on RCI but they don't have the skating rink, climbing wall etc. However, the prices also may be less especially for that prime school Easter vacation week. Airfares are pretty high too right now. During that week which is also Massachusetts school break, I am sure you will meet other kids. They open the disco up to teens from about 9 p.m. until 11 p.m. There is a great water slide and two central pools including one with a dome cover just in case of rain. Good luck convincing your folks. It is a great family vacation.
Bon Voyage
Old October 27th, 2002, 11:11 PM
First Mate

jennyY -

As a 15 year old , it seems to me you should be able to write better English - maybe if you work for better grades your folks would be more likely to indulge you with a cruise.....think about it !

Old October 28th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Thanks Suki, you hit the head on the nail! My feelings exactly. Also, Jenny have you even talked to your folks about this? Why aren't they looking into it? Can they even afford this or even willing to do this? Cruising is a fantastic vacation but it's expensive. Have your folks lurk on the board here or ask questions if they are truly interested.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 29th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Admiral

A lot of teenagers today write informally as though they are instant messaging. Abbreviating everything in instant messaging allows them to quickly and efficiently convey what they're thinking. Don't worry, in school they are (or should be) still taught to write formal English for papers, etc. (Let's hope they get the message before they enter college or the business world.)

Unfortunately, for us old codgers (and I'm 25), that instant-message talk is very hard to read and understand sometimes, and also comes across as very immature. (No offense Jenny, just a suggestion that you might want to write more formally on a board where there are many of the older generation, and leave instant message-speak for your friends.)

Anyway, Jenny, ask your folks to lurk on this board. They'll pick up some great information. You might also want to check out some books on cruising from the library. Share them with your parents. Good luck.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 31st, 2002, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Tank u 'chelle cuz i dint get it . ur sposin me 2 a nu langauge. i*ll brush ^ on i messaging =D

Seriously, if you want to have some fun read the Teens board!

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 31st, 2002, 09:37 AM
Admiral

i*m ha-p 2 hlp U Thomas & frendz... U guyz R 2 kewl!!! =D

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 31st, 2002, 10:46 AM
Admiral

You're killing me! ROFLMFAO

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 31st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Admiral

OMG you guys, u r jist 2 funnay!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 23rd, 2002, 06:26 PM
Passenger

better grades? i wouldnt even talkk .. thats why i just got a 90 overall average and im on the cheerleading squad, chorus, italian club, free the children, and paintball club. I talk like this cuz if u*ve ever seen teens IM each otha this is how they do it
Old November 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Hi, Jenny ...

Yup. That's how teens do it. Not to dis on you, but most of the people here barely remember being teenagers (except Michelle, maybe) so it's a little strange to see "teenspeak".

Old November 25th, 2002, 05:32 PM
AR

I'm curious about something Jenny--because you are obviously a bright young lady despite the "teenspeak". . .

If one of your friends were to write more formally (more or less like this) when communicating online with you, would you consider that person a geek or would you be impressed that he or she took the time and made the effort to be clear, correct and explicit?

I'd really like to know how you would view that.

AR
Old November 26th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Hi....You'll love your first cruise, I promise. During spring break especially there will be a lot of teens. The best ships for families are vessels operated by Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

In CruiseMates we have Family Cruising and Teen Cruising areas -- here you'll get a lot of good advice. And, keep asking us on the message boards. We've all taken our first cruise and love to help others.

Anne Campbell
Editor
CruiseMates

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.